SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I had purchased an older boat earlier this year (45' Bombay Explorer) and the PO had outfitted her with new electronics a couple of years ago. However he ran out of money (thus, having to sell the boat) and only did the job part way. He had a Garmin 1042Xsv Chartplotter and Garmin Radar unit bundled which seem to work quite well. However, there is no wind direction sensor or speed log installed apparently. I have gone through the manual and I'm fairly certain of this.

At this point it appears that my only option is to buy an add on unit and integrate it. Has any one else done this after the fact? I realize everyone has their favorite brand but I am hoping to keep it as simple as possible with the integration (and keep costs down) so possibly sticking with the brand, unless it really sucks. I am just not sure of what options are available to me. I've done some googling and have found some things that seem fairly reasonable price wise but I don't have any knowledge of what to avoid and what to look for. I have seen some wireless units too but I'm not really familiar with those either. If anyone would like to give their thoughts on certain gotchas or recommendations or what to avoid I would appreciate it.

Thanks a million!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,
I had purchased an older boat earlier this year (45' Bombay Explorer) and the PO had outfitted her with new electronics a couple of years ago. However he ran out of money (thus, having to sell the boat) and only did the job part way. He had a Garmin 1042Xsv Chartplotter and Garmin Radar unit bundled which seem to work quite well. However, there is no wind direction sensor or speed log installed apparently. I have gone through the manual and I'm fairly certain of this.

At this point it appears that my only option is to buy an add on unit and integrate it. Has any one else done this after the fact? I realize everyone has their favorite brand but I am hoping to keep it as simple as possible with the integration (and keep costs down) so possibly sticking with the brand, unless it really sucks. I am just not sure of what options are available to me. I've done some googling and have found some things that seem fairly reasonable price wise but I don't have any knowledge of what to avoid and what to look for. I have seen some wireless units too but I'm not really familiar with those either. If anyone would like to give their thoughts on certain gotchas or recommendations or what to avoid I would appreciate it.

Thanks a million!
The best option is to go to the store and ask them what you want actually, after that they'll give you some suggestions or show your integrates and you can easily find the best things or you can search your integrates online and compare with brands then you can easily understand what actually you need to avoid.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Adding to Phil's comment about NMEA 2000, it is a universal protocol. All brands that use it should talk together without issues. On the boat I have raced on for several years, we have replaced the chart plotter twice, a remote MFD screen once, VHF once, and all the sensors once. At this point, I don't think anything is the same brand that it started with. Everything is still communicating with the other brands just fine. I've heard that many brands use sensors made by Airmar. So since you already have a chart plotter, maybe an option is to buy just the sensors and not a whole kit.

·
Administrator
7,944 Posts
Yes, stick with Garmin.
They all say they can talk to each other but it's more like Apples "Walled Garden"... : try connecting Apple to Android!

Also, you might find a water speed transducer is not necessary nowadays unless you are racing or in a very high current area.
I just use the ground speed off my GPS. I do have the water speed but in the Caribbean it takes half an hour to clean before a 1 hour passage!

BTW, the PO may have run out of money, but you might find great value in paying a compétant Garmin expert to configure your system.

Mark

Reactions: contrarian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best option is to go to the store and ask them what you want actually, after that they'll give you some suggestions or show your integrates and you can easily find the best things or you can search your integrates online and compare with brands then you can easily understand what actually you need to avoid.
Thanks Steve, I have gone into one store so far and the person I spoke with was more or less reading from a brochure and didn't seem to have a lot of his own experience but he was promting the wireless unit. I'll give it another shot and see if I can find someone a bit more knowledgeable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the
to be knowledgeable and very helpful
their prices are competitive and fast shipment
good luck
Thanks for the link, I have not visited that site yet, it looks quite comprehensive. I'll have more time later today to have a more detailed look.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
I think store generally means an online facility brick and mortar stores are pretty useless anymore but I guess some of us get lucky.
You're probably 10 steps ahead of me the old Garmin I have on my boat is probably as old as the boat it's a 741 looks like about a 5-in screen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, stick with Garmin.
They all say they can talk to each other but it's more like Apples "Walled Garden"... : try connecting Apple to Android!

Also, you might find a water speed transducer is not necessary nowadays unless you are racing or in a very high current area.
I just use the ground speed off my GPS. I do have the water speed but in the Caribbean it takes half an hour to clean before a 1 hour passage!

BTW, the PO may have run out of money, but you might find great value in paying a compétant Garmin expert to configure your system.

Mark
Hi Mark,
I appreciate your insight. That's kind of what I was thinking as well. I'll see if I can locate a Garmin guru to have a look. She has the original speed display which sort of works most of the time (which does amaze me) but I'm not sure if the water speed transducer is original or not (I'd be more amazed if it were). From the looks of it, the wiring at least to display is the original and could in part be a culprit but the lens is also yellowed and crased to some extent. It seems what I miss most is not having wind speed or direction so it's been more sailing by feel than anything. Where I've been sailing that's fine and not really necessary but eventually I plan on doing offshore passages and I think that's where I'll need it more. Thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Adding to Phil's comment about NMEA 2000, it is a universal protocol. All brands that use it should talk together without issues. On the boat I have raced on for several years, we have replaced the chart plotter twice, a remote MFD screen once, VHF once, and all the sensors once. At this point, I don't think anything is the same brand that it started with. Everything is still communicating with the other brands just fine. I've heard that many brands use sensors made by Airmar. So since you already have a chart plotter, maybe an option is to buy just the sensors and not a whole kit.
Hi Steve,
Please forgive my ignorance but is there a way to tell is NMEA 2000 is currently being using? The chartplotter and radar are interfaced; would that require NMEA 2000 to talk to each other or could there be some other method they use to communicate?

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance but is there a way to tell is NMEA 2000 is currently being using?
Cabling is very different.

Also not uncommon to have a combination of comm protocols and a converter. I don't love that, but there are distance limitations with NMEA2000 I'm told that can drive it. Not a pro.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think store generally means an online facility brick and mortar stores are pretty useless anymore but I guess some of us get lucky.
You're probably 10 steps ahead of me the old Garmin I have on my boat is probably as old as the boat it's a 741 looks like about a 5-in screen
Hi Denise,
While I do some shopping online, you can probably deduce that I'm older than dirt :D and prefer brick and mortar stores. That being said, I think you're spot on with your assessment that they're pretty useless nowadays. Last time I went in to look at some LED cabin lights to replace the originals and not only did they not have the ones I wanted in store to look at but they suggested some which I ordered. Come to find out, I couldn't use those and I found the same ones online for 30% less. That experience in part led me to start this thread as my due diligence before I buy something I can't really use or is not right for my boat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cabling is very different.

Also not uncommon to have a combination of comm protocols and a converter. I don't love that, but there are distance limitations with NMEA2000 I'm told that can drive it. Not a pro.
Thanks for your input! Would you know or be able to suggest what I might look for in the cabling or something else to see which comm protocol is being used whether NMEA2000 or otherwise?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
If you are talking about places like Westmarine, then yes, I agree! Most retail staff are clueless. If you go to a shop that specializes in selling and installing marine electonics then you stand a much better chance of getting good advice and good after sale and warranty support.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think you may have 3 types of wires possible in this system. I'm not experienced in radar, but I have heard they use a ethernet wire. I don't know if that means they have one of those jumbo telephone plugs or if it is a marine shape. NMEA 0183 is a set of 4 wires that get individually connected at each piece of equipment. NMEA 2000 uses a cable backbone and whips to each device. They have round connectors and I believe there are 5 pins inside each connector.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Trying to get up to speed with onboard electronics is expensive!

I just had an oh duh moment! I just need a GPS satellite antenna to plug in to the USB port on my laptop and it's the same as a chartplotter I hope I think I'm right.

there's always something missing when people tell you what you "need" as in just use your laptop as a chart plotter! Nobody told me about the antenna, lol
Oh duh lol

Reactions: hunintended

·
Registered
252 Posts

I just had an oh duh moment! I just need a GPS satellite antenna to plug in to the USB port on my laptop and it's the same as a chartplotter I hope I think I'm right.

there's always something missing when people tell you what you "need" as in just use your laptop as a chart plotter! Nobody told me about the antenna, lol
Oh duh lol
=====================================================
make sure your gps dongle? if that is what you are refering to is compatible with your OS
just a thought

·
Registered
6,605 Posts

Oh duh lol
If you have a GPS position you can run Navionics on the device... whatever it is and YES you have a chart plotter. You can but GPS antennas I believe with a USB port.

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
I just need a GPS satellite antenna to plug in to the USB port on my laptop and it's the same as a chartplotte
Thats doable, but I find one needs a modest amount of technical know how. Communication ports and baud rate settings sometimes need tweaking on the operating system or the navigation app, for example. For Apple IOS devices, they just work. Techies hate Apple tablets and IOS, but their technology is the best plug and play out there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts