SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks!

First time poster here. So, I'm about to purchase a 31' Bombay Clipper, for a very, very good price. Everythings good to go, but the engine. It has a 24HP Volva Penta engine, and needs its fuel injector pumps replaced, as well as a water pump.

Original owner suggested just putting a outboard on her, but she is older and tired of the boat!

I'm planning on sailing her down the east coast to the Bahamas.

What are your thoughts? Is it difficult to find Penta parts? I'm not familiar with them at all. Could I get away with a outboard?

Thanks!

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Parts are expensive and sometimes hard to find but I'd be more concerned as to which model you have. If it's one of the 2000 series (1983 to about 1988) I'd pass on the boat. 2001, 2002, 2003, 2003T were the model numbers. If it's one of the older MD series, those were better engines.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I can't recall where I posted it, either here or at CF, but I have found a good resource that describes how several models of 'volvo penta' are actually rebranded Perkins engines, which are rebranded Japanese engines...

My MD2030s use Perkins parts, and I have even found some generic brand parts (such as the scary expensive radiator cap, which I was able to find in generic).

here's the post

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/2072457-post8.html

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
I can't recall where I posted it, either here or at CF, but I have found a good resource that describes how several models of 'volvo penta' are actually rebranded Perkins engines, which are rebranded Japanese engines...

My MD2030s use Perkins parts, and I have even found some generic brand parts (such as the scary expensive radiator cap, which I was able to find in generic).
These were later engines, starting about 1990. Perkins/Kubota.

Volvo-Penta engine overlook

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

Thank you! I'm coordinating with the owner today to try to find the model number. I'm going down tmw to take a look. If got the sailing expertise, but my diesel skills are sadly lacking. Hoping to bring a friend down there who knows something about it, but not sure yet.

·
Islander Yacht Fan
60 Posts
If you're looking for parts, the guys at Sound Marine Diesel LLc are the ones to call - very knowledgeable and helpful - parts prices are about the best on the web, and they ship quickly. These guys are sailors and mechanics as well, so they know what they're doing.

Sound Marine Diesel
127 Walsh Ave
Newington, CT 06111

Disclosure: I have no affiliation with these guys, except that I own an older boat with a VP MD7A and I've found this company to provide excellent service...

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
While I would not put a Volvo in a boat, if I had one I would do my best to get it going before slapping an outboard on her. Even before repowering I would try to see if you can't coax a few years out of the existing one. Could be something simple, especially if it has not been used much lately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank's folks,

I'd appreciate if you'd check back in later tmw after I have some more concrete information. You've been great!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Be careful which Volvo model is in there.
The "2000" series motors did not have a good reputation (2001, 2002, 2003 etc), and were replaced with Perkins motors.
The 2000 series does not refer to year of manufacture but to the brand name.

The earlier MD11 and MD17 motors were good motors but have spare parts prices that are astronomic. I am not referring to consumables like oil filters and the like, but to major parts.
Be careful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a md2b....if that makes any sense. I went down and visited today. Beautiful, well maintained, owner stated that she had 2 separate mechanics come down, they replaced a gasket, then replaced 2 pushrods, 1 was bent. But still wouldn't work, both mechanics stated that it just needed two things:

Fuel injector
Water pump.

What's something like that cost?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The MD2B is closely related to my later MD17C.
A water pump is not that expensive. Jabsco make one that will fit.
A fuel injector is going to be pricey but still affordable. How do they know the fuel injector has malfunctioned? Have they tested it?
Be careful they do not mean an injection PUMP. That really will be expensive.

Bent pushrods are puzzling me. I can't see a reason for that happening.

Unless the motor is running and seen to be running, and able to run for hours I would not touch it.
If the motor "just" needs anything, then why has the last owner not "just" fixed it????
Please be careful.

Rocter.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Just as a word of warning.

From e-bay, this very day, this is the typical cost of a non-consumable part from Volvo, this time for the Volvo MD17C...

Volvo Penta Exhaust Manifold Fits MD17C MD17D Engines | eBay

...and yes, that really does say $1495, close to £964, for a second-hand exhaust manifold. You could buy a brand new Kubota 38 hp, from Beta Marine, for 7 of those, and if Beta Marine ever try to rip you off, you can go to a fork-lift engine supplier, and they will be far more reasonable.

Anyway, welcome to Volvo spare parts prices, exhaust manifolds this time, $1495, and it is not even new!

Rockter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts