SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if this might be the place to get ideas on moving a wooden catspaw dinghy from Portsmouth R.I. to the Bay Area in California. Its dimensions are
12 ‘ Length /52 “ Width/ 26 “ Height

I would like to bring it West to live, where it can be repaired, rowed, and sailed again! Has anyone had any luck finding a cheap and safe ride for a small boat coast to coast? My brother said it actually fit inside one of those Conversion vans once. Thanks, Carol

·
Mechsmith
240 Posts
Try U-Haul if you are driving. It would also fit in a full size van. Lots of ways to skin a small boat. A car trailer also would work. Depends a lot on what else has to go and the money availiable for the project. It's a boat!!

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
It will never pay to incur a cost to move it, especially if it needs repair anyway. It's small enough, that it should fit with a UHaul, if you're moving anyway. However, before I spent money moving and fixing it, I would follow Denise's advice.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
or, cut it in half and reassemble it as a nesting dinghy when it gets to the new home :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, folks, for these ideas. It seemed to me pretty heavy to rooftop it, but maybe on a tough enough roof! I'd also be interested if someone has a spot in a truck already coming to CA sometime, to save costs. Carol

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Check with the national freight haulers. They often have unsold room on cross country legs that can be relatively cheap. However, you likely need to get it to one of their depots and shrink wrap it, if not crate it. Still, it seems more money than it s worth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice about the unused part of someone else's freight trip... will look into that. And, also, for the timely recommendation about the Margaritas and how they "fix anything". (I'll look into THAT!) This is a boat built so lovingly by someone dear to me who died, and so its value is priceless. It's been sitting since his death and needs a transom replacement and a sprung plank reinstalled. There is an amazing boat repair workshop here in San Francisco that I'm hoping would work on it with me, if I can ever swing this. It's the SF branch of the folks that build them on the East Coast. So, it is of course not Sensible in any way to bring this boat from R.I. to the West Coast, but what I understand well about this site is that boats take on a special and sometimes outrageous role in many of our lives. This particular boat is the one I need! Thanks, everybody, Carol

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I know woman boat builder that hangs out here :D:D:D

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Thanks for the advice about the unused part of someone else's freight trip... will look into that. And, also, for the timely recommendation about the Margaritas and how they "fix anything". (I'll look into THAT!) This is a boat built so lovingly by someone dear to me who died, and so its value is priceless. It's been sitting since his death and needs a transom replacement and a sprung plank reinstalled. There is an amazing boat repair workshop here in San Francisco that I'm hoping would work on it with me, if I can ever swing this. It's the SF branch of the folks that build them on the East Coast. So, it is of course not Sensible in any way to bring this boat from R.I. to the West Coast, but what I understand well about this site is that boats take on a special and sometimes outrageous role in many of our lives. This particular boat is the one I need! Thanks, everybody, Carol
Carol since it's in RI (wooden boat territory! why don't you call the Herreshoff or mystic seaport museums? Maybe they have some ideas. The both have small craft experts and exhibits maybe yours has a history they may be interested in.
Herreshoff Marine Museum & America's Cup Hall of Fame

·
Registered
404 Posts
try Grayhound bus i have used them for large auto parts.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Do you know anyone driving R.I. To Ca? 150 - 200 lbs is not too much for a Thule or Yakima roof rack. That would cost you about $200 plus some for gas. That would leave you with a means to carry it around in SF. Freight companies are unlikely to give you a deal, better to find an individual making the move.
Good luck, this kind I move is very difficult. I went through the same process with a few pieces of furniture my mother left my daughter which had been made by my uncle. My best deal ended up being to rent a truck in El Paso and drive it all to Philadelphia. Not an easy proposition, but what are you going to do?
John

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
it might fit under a greyhound bus. I am not joking. I have shipped (and received) many large and bulky items through greyhound. this includes a rare hardtop for a fiat 124 spider. I think that only came to around $40 to ship from PA to California. If it will fit, does not weigh too much, and they have the room, they will take it. Just make sure it is wrapped securely to avoid damage. they do manhandle stuff

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
If you get it to a freight company they can be surprisingly cheap, as long as it is on a pallet. Check motorcycle/snowmovile/water sports dealers for long pallets. Generally free.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts