SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mexico has stated that they need to see a factory hull number on the starboard stern of all sailboats to make them legal there. My Corbin never came with one and I'm sure there are a lot of others facing the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get one on the boat so that it looks like it was put there by the factory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The boat is registered in Canada and has the numbers but some of the boats that got in trouble this year didn't have someone on board when the inspectors arrived and they wanted to see the hull numbers on the starboard stern.
The trouble with asking someone in Mexico about the rules is that you need to ask the people that are inspecting your boat - there are too many interpretations of the rules. It's hard enough getting a consensus here on a cruising permit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a hull number but it's not where the Mexican inspectors want to see it and I want to make it look like it's been there since the boat was built. I thought of engraving it and then regelcoating over it but it would be hard to match perfectly.
If I do the metal plaque route it would be easy but I'm not sure it would convince them I haven't rebadged a potentially stolen boat.

Zehag - you have me confused with some lucky guy that is already in Mexico, I will be there in November. Being in Mexico what would you do in this situation?

Maybe I'm overreacting to the stuff that went on earlier this year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts