SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The four pin connector for my masthead light has one broken pin at the base of the mast. As a result the connector does not make good contact at the base of the mast. The broken pin is one of those split pins. I broke it by wedging a tiny screw driver into the split in the hopes of opening it and getting a better connection. In the process of doing so one side of the pin broke off. My bad! As a matter of fact some day I am going to list and tell the stories of all the repairs i have had to do that are self-inflicted. I think sometimes boats get a bad wrap of being expensive to maintain when all along it is idiots like me just breaking perfectly working stuff. Anyway I digress.

Now the pin with just one side remaining is way to small for the female end of the connector and the lights don't work. Short of ordering and soldering in a new connector, is there a DIY fix for this one pin? :) Thanks

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
Get a pair of these;

Cut the push pin connector off.

Strip the end of the wire, and put one of these on each of the ends of the wires;

Use a crimping tool to crimp the connector to the wire;

Use heat to shrink the jacket around the wire.

Replace the push pin connector with one of these;

Reactions: MarkSF

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
That's the way Bristol did it from new. The only drawback is that we had some fun figuring out which wire went where, last time the mast was out. Easily avoidable by taking pictures first.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
... or clearly labeling the wires.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
The four pin connector for my masthead light has one broken pin at the base of the mast. As a result the connector does not make good contact at the base of the mast. The broken pin is one of those split pins. I broke it by wedging a tiny screw driver into the split in the hopes of opening it and getting a better connection. In the process of doing so one side of the pin broke off. My bad! As a matter of fact some day I am going to list and tell the stories of all the repairs i have had to do that are self-inflicted. I think sometimes boats get a bad wrap of being expensive to maintain when all along it is idiots like me just breaking perfectly working stuff. Anyway I digress.

Now the pin with just one side remaining is way to small for the female end of the connector and the lights don't work. Short of ordering and soldering in a new connector, is there a DIY fix for this one pin? :) Thanks
If a pin connector is what you need/want Google Four Pin Wiring Plugs. Chop off the old plug and splice the matched colored wiring to the new plug tail pieces. Maybe 30 minute repair.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all... yes I need to better identify the light and then order a new male end. In the meantime, yesterday I took a 1" piece of stripped 18 gauge, twisted it real good folded it in half and stuck in female end. then when the broken male pin went in she made good contact. Lights are back on and night sailing is back! This will hold until I get new plug..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts