SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wings are all the rage these days, but we still only see them at the America's Cup. Why is this? Will someone be able to develop a solution that brings the performance of a wing sail to everyday sailors like you and I?

Please take a moment to fill out the following survey that will help me with my research...

surveymonkey.com/s/9K3TVKP

Thank You

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ok, took the survey but did not see any focus there other than trying to capture contact information. I did not even see any "view the results" option.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,761 Posts
This comes back to the idea that a boat operates as a system, and that the wings really come into thier own on higher speed boats, and offer smaller speed gains on displacement monohulls and heavier displacement multihulls which is the majority of the boat buying marketplace.

Beyond that, wings operate efficiency in a very narrow range of camber and twist adjustements. These are the type fine scale adjustments which is beyond the level of attention to sail trim that most sailors are willing to live with.

There would be a pretty wide range to technical issues that would need to be resolved such as the ability to shorten sail area safely and quickly in a building breeze, the ability of depower the sail quickly in a gust, and the ability to add deep angle and downwind sails to deal with inherent decreased aparent wind on these points of sail.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts