SailNet Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Oh Nellie! What a well preserved old gal.
Point of information, if one finds themselves anywhere near Bristol R.I. on Narragansett Bay stop at the
Herreshoff Museum...what a treat, many examples of
both large and small, sail and power. Can board most
boats. Had to beg the wife and kids to stop for a hour a few years ago...and could not get them away...we closed
the place down at the end of the day.

·
Temporarily on the Hard
33 Posts
Nellie was in the shed at Warren Pond Boatworks being completed when my own boat was brought in and placed inches beside her for its own refit. I could literally straddle the transoms for a few months.

What struck me is how different and similar these two boats could be, each 46', 12' beam and 7' draft, yet 70 years and eons apart in philosophy. I am lucky enough to benefit from her same craftsmen (Bob Eger) and many of her design and material choices. They look just as timely in a vintage '71 IOR racer being refit for cruising. Although my boat is aluminum, it may as well now be a Herreshoff on the interior. Nellie is hardly in original configuration below but we all make compromises for personal taste!

IMO, Bob and Mark (Jonathon and Tom, etc.) at WPB put a lot of sweat and talent into Nellie and deserve a tad more recognition for that effort than they receive in the write ups by the general contractor.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts