SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
jimbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going from Panama City Florida down South somewhere for two weeks starting Jan 17th. No real destination. Just a day by day trip. I have sailed the same ol area over and over and am not nervous about pulling into the marina or docking the boat or sailing around in general. I feel quite comfortable in Panama City.

As far as going to new places..... That's where I get nervous. I have a chart plotter and maps so I'm not nervous about water depth. What I am nervous about is pulling into new marinas. Not sure where to pull up and dock. One time in Port St Joe I pulled into a marina and it was a tight squeeze for my 45 ft boat which does not have bow thrusters. There was only one spot to dock and as soon as I docked someone came out and told me it was a private slip.

How do you guys know where to dock and pull up when you enter a new marina. Any help will be much appreciated

·
jimbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually try Marinas.com for aerial views of the marinas I'm going into for the first time, and always call ahead either on the cell or on VHF to get instructions on where to tie up if there's any question.

War Eagle.
I didn't think about calling on a cell phone. Hmmmmmm Im not too good on the radio.

·
jimbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do yourself a favor. Click-on ActiveCaptain, register (it's free) and use the Interactive Cruising Guidebook tab to review your area of interest. Most everything you'll need to know is listed with tips and references and contact information for prospective stops to allow you to make contacts beforehand, all plotted on Maps/Charts/Aerial Photo's (from Google Earth).

FWIW...
Thanks. I book marked the site

1 - 3 of 3 Posts