SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I use a similar technique, every pot and pan fits inside the other, then it's all held in place with a bungee cord. Same holds true for the extra bottles of booze. strapped down and cushioned so if the boat took a knock down the booze, food, pots and pans, etc... would be safely secured. The only items that are not secured are the pillows and blankets.

Good post,

Gary :cool:

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
I just dont see why someone would want these types of cookware unless space was very limited. A cast iron skillet, some SS pots, and a cast iron Dutch Oven and youre all set
I agree. I'm using the SS Farberware set I bought out of college, a Swiss Diamond saute, a Circulon omelet pan, and Kuhn Rikon PC.

I have yet to find a nesting set that have sturdy enough handles to really cook in.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm very impressed with the Cuisinart nesting set I have. They are of the same quality as the Cuisinart pans I have at home, very similarly made. (in fact they're rather heavy) The only real difference is the removable handle(s) that has a quick-pin trigger release which slides on rails that are welded to the pots. My set is not non-stick.

I think this is the same:

I have quit carrying the big boiler, because I have a pressure-cooker which will do the same work, and I find a pressure cooker invaluable.

The little boiler, with lid on, has worked as a bread 'cloche' and I've baked some fine loaves underway :)

For boiling up water for coffee etc I have a fairly thin-gauge, broad-bottomed stainless whistling kettle that I bought in a local Vietnamese food store. It's a helluva kettle - boils up in no time.

·
2,448 Posts
Hey BL, good find. I love checking out the camping stores for boat buys. But I'm actually going to step up for Magma here. We got our non-stick Magma set maybe five years ago. I think we got a discount at the Annapolis show from Defender but I'm not even sure anymore.

I think we paid around $150; they've gotten a LOT of use and still cook and look good. I was concerned about the handles, but no issues there. We did add an All Clad pan for pan searing dishes and steaks but I'd probably do that with any set. It all bundles up and fits in the smallish galley on our 30.

I'm expecting to get a lot more years out of the Magma set so I'd say they were definitely money well spent.

I think it's worth spending a little more for stuff you use every day.

Jim

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Ours is the Cuisinart. OK so storage for us is not a big issue but I confess we rarely use it. Maybe MHG has the right idea as we also have a pressure cooker so the big boiler is excess to requirements. Without it maybe we would use the other stuff more.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
It is.

They are.

Wooden cutting boards take up the rest of the space. :)
Have you seen Bamboo chopping boards ? Every bit as good as wood but less expensive and supposedly last longer without the upkeep.

btw .... ref the big boiler in those sets ..... how much use do other people make of them ?

Reactions: T37Chef

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'd use the big boiler with some frequency, if I didn't have the pressure cooker. I just don't lock the lid, or I remove the gasket, to boil things like pasta or cook things that I don't necessarily need to cook under pressure.

I bought a Dexas Chop-n-Scoop and I rid myself of the other chopping board, which was bamboo. I like bamboo, but I like the scoop'ability more

My choices are driven by my effort to keep weight out of the boat, and simplicity in the boat, as much as anything

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it's worth spending a little more for stuff you use every day.

Jim
I agree, and if I could have gotten two pans with the Magma set, i likely would have bought Magma... but i couldn't which is why I was still looking.
It was the price that made me look at the set I bought, which made me notice that it had the assortment I was looking for, and I also discovered that the warranty was 1000% of the Magma warranty- (10 years- Magma has a 1 year warranty).
The Cuisinart STOW-8 set had the assortment I was seeking, but is no longer available.

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you seen Bamboo chopping boards ? Every bit as good as wood but less expensive and supposedly last longer without the upkeep.

btw .... ref the big boiler in those sets ..... how much use do other people make of them ?
Fuzzy, the wooden cutting board comment was a joke for the chef. we have one wooden board, one plastic board, one bamboo board, one slate tile, one ceramic board- everyone is pissed off equally.

I use the large pot frequently- mussels, shrimp, corn, stew, potatoes for potato salad, etc.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Fuzzy, the wooden cutting board comment was a joke for the chef. we have one wooden board, one plastic board, one bamboo board, one slate tile, one ceramic board- everyone is pissed off equally.

I use the large pot frequently- mussels, shrimp, corn, stew, potatoes for potato salad, etc.
Ah ... spending too much time in the sink hole of prwg BL. My sense of humour is taking a hammering.

So not only are you Admiral of the Dock but Chairman of the Board as well ?

We'd use the large pot as well, if it was the only large pot we had but the pressure cooker is an option and we also carry one of those cast iron La Crueset (sp?) jobbies.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Cheap pots and a good screwdriver to remove handles when nesteling inside the most used cookware on our boat the presto pressure cooker.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
I agree. I'm using the SS Farberware set I bought out of college, a Swiss Diamond saute, a Circulon omelet pan, and Kuhn Rikon PC.
Farborware sells a Classic set that is most like the one I bought in 1982. The newer set seems to have clear lids instead of metal and non-stick saute pans instead of bare SS. I don't use the skillet or the stock pot - just the three (1 qt, 2 qt, and 3 qt) pans. The rest are squirreled

The Swiss Diamond deep saute pan probably gets used more than everything else put together.

My little Circulon omelet pan (about 6") doesn't seem to have an equivalent anymore. I'll have to be careful with it. *grin* It's a hard anodized aluminum non-stick that isn't very exotic so there must be lots of choices.

My PC is a Kuhn Rikon 5l pot they don't make anymore. The features that are important to me are stubby handles (no long handle) and good heat conduction. You don't have to spend the $ on a KR but to some extent you do get what you pay for. Part of what I get from KR is great construction and a commitment to parts (seals, springs, valves, handles, etc). We use the PC with no seal as a stock pot.

Buried in the boat is a 16 qt Presto pressure canner.

I guess technically bamboo is grass and not wood, but does it really make a difference? It's hard, natural, and like woods self-healing.

I wasn't pissed off until you got to the slate and ceramic. Pretty rough on your knives.

My admiral prefers good hardwood over plastic any day ;)
You trained her accordingly? *grin*

Cheap pots and a good screwdriver to remove handles when nesteling inside the most used cookware on our boat the presto pressure cooker.
Interesting idea.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.