SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to make a nesting dinghy to fit on my 37' sailboat for long term cruising. I am concerned about stability though. I am interested in either the "Nester" by Dave Gerr or the "Chameleon" by Danny Greene. Can anyone give me the plus's or minus's of either design. Thank You, Richard

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about stability with either of those designs. They are both fairly flat-bottomed prams, similar to our PassageMaker Dinghy by Chesapeake Light Craft. Our PMD is TREMENDOUSLY stable, and can haul a huge load. I would expect both of those designs to have similar characteristics.

The one comment I have about the Chameleon -- based solely on a few line drawings -- is that it does not seem to have much rocker. As such, it may not prove as nimble/manoueverable around the mothership and docks, etc.

Fun project!

Chesapeake Light Craft » Catalog » Passagemaker Take-Apart » Boat Plans, Boat Kits, Kayak Kits, Canoe Kits, Sailboat Kits, Rowboat Kits, Paddleboard Kits, Boatbuilding Supplies, Boat Gear and Accessories, Kayaks, Canoes, Sailing Dinghies, Rowing Craf

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I'm in the process of building this one: spindrift
Picked it because it is supposed to sail and row well.

Very good support forum. Architect will answer personal phone calls. Has a lot of the the parts for sale cheaper than I could find other places.
Even has a cnc machine so can cut out the parts for you.
I cut my own plywood parts but bought most of the other parts from him.
Good people.

·
Sailing to surf
208 Posts
I found this thread searching around about hard dinghies. Can anyone comment on the differences between the original plans mentioned here ("Nester" by Dave Gerr or the "Chameleon" by Danny Greene)? I am considering building a nesting dinghy for long term cruising and both of these look pretty solid. Wondering which would be worth getting in the long run.

Particulars: looking for a nesting dinghy with good rowing capabilities and can be motored easily. Also want to sail it :)

·
F235 Sailing
72 Posts
To funny Eric...
I'm looking around for a nesting dingy for Valkyr to :) both our Ribs are in less than stellar shape.

we should start a thread on our forum for this :)
I think I will. :)
scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts