SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer is coming. Last year was hot on the east coast. It drives me nuts that you can't go in the water because of the sea nettles. What kind of experiences have people had with the jellyfish excluding pools in the Chesapeake Bay?

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Did you know that no jellyfish, even the big ones, can sting through something as thin as pantyhose? Lifeguards in jellyfish infested waters used to wear them and invented the body skin. They are like extremely thin wet suits. No thermal protection, but complete skin protection.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Diving in Oz, where there were some creatures that stung horribly (I don't remember what they were called), we used panty hose. We looked pretty silly, but it worked.
Down here in the Caribbean we get what we call sea lice. The bites are super painful, itchy and last for days. Nikki coats herself in cooking oil under her dive skin and that seems to prevent the bites completely.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
Summer is coming. Last year was hot on the east coast. It drives me nuts that you can't go in the water because of the sea nettles. What kind of experiences have people had with the jellyfish excluding pools in the Chesapeake Bay?
Is this http://www.nojellyfish.com/ what you are talking about?

I see them from time to time around the middle Bay but they seem unwieldy and rather expensive.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
We always dealt with it on the Chesapeake by having lots of floats, and staying on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts