SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I really don't like to criticise other people and their endeavours at sea. Their decisions are theirs.
However I saw this video yesterday shot at Christmas that so staggers my belief I feel I must show it to you to prove that some people do breach any idea of what I call safety.

You may think this video is fine, and I'll accept your criticism of my criticism.

They swim without safety lines attached, in mid-Atlantic while the sails are up and drawing and the boat is moving faster than swimming speed, just with a floating line astern, no fender etc tied to it.

8:45 mins while the genoa is up and poled out, boat is moving, the captain and one other swim. 1 guy clearly hanging on with only 1 hand. Later the female partner of the skipper jumps in with astounding advice from the skipper.
23:30 while spinnaker is up, and drawing, and the boat moving, 3 of the 4 crew including the captain diving off bow, un tethered, diving down to the keel, then swimming up to the floating line at the stern.

ATLANTIC Crossing Part 2 | Departing Cape Verde for a 2,000 mile voyage - EP 14 - Sailing Beaver - YouTube

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stills

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I've never had anyone swim off my boat when we weren't anchored. I've never even thought about the possibility. I supposed that if the conditions were calm, the sails were down, and there was skilled crew on board, I'd be ok with it so long as there was a trailing line and a float.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
601 Posts
This is one of those things where stupid begets stupid. I have seen a lot of the "top" channels do something similar—so the logic stands if they are doing then it must be ok...until someone goes a step to far— i.e the captain jumps off without leaving a crew member than can bring her around or at least heave to— and then there will be enough counter publicity that people stop taking extraordinary risks. But then again what to I know—it wouldn't work for me cause I would be wearing my pfd :)

·
Master Mariner
8,957 Posts
Been there, done that, while the boat was completely becalmed half way between Cali and Hawaii. I had a line out with many knots in it and assumed all would be fine.
What I hadn't realized was that though we thought the boat was becalmed, it was actually moving faster than we could swim. It was hard to pull one's self back to the boat and impossible, had I been alone, to get back aboard after pulling myself up to the boat.
I was the only one in the water, in good shape, and none of the others wanted to try it after seeing how fast we were actually moving.
Never mind, I've spent many a day "becalmed" at sea with some pretty impressive sharks swimming around in the boat's shadow. At least until dolphins show up, then it's adios sharkies.

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I hadn't realized was that though we thought the boat was becalmed, it was actually moving faster than we could swim. It was hard to pull one's self back to the boat and impossible, had I been alone, to get back aboard after pulling myself up to the boat.
Exactly my experience. Exactly.

I was Mate on a Swan 65 footer in 1999 mid Atlantic and we were totally becalmed. We dropped the sails and everyone jumped in except me and the skipper. We just about jumped in together before we looked at each other and both shook out heads. When one or 2 of the swimmers came out I jumped in. I couldn't believe how fast the becalmed boat was going, without sails. Pulling myself back up the line towards the boat was hard work, really hard... and getting up the ladder was difficult too.
Since then whenever I'm becalmed I watch the bubbles. We might be becalmed but I know I cant outswim those bubbles... and I was in competitive swimming till I was about 15.

Just one gentle puff of wind against a hull and I'd be stuffed. With sails up theres no way.

And to furl sails the person on deck must.... take... their... eyes.... off the MOB. And we know what happens then.

·
Registered
23,445 Posts
I haven't watched these vids (yet), but I've seen many do what is described. It does seem nuts. If becalmed, with the sails down and adequate crew remaining aboard, I'm okay with it. Still put out a long trailing line with float.

I've already forgotten the name of the vid that was posted here, about the Canadian family that did a 5yr circumnavigation. It showed them dragging both their young kids behind the boat, with sails up. Their daughter started screaming and they didn't know why. They retrieved the kids to realize they dragged them through a school of jellyfish, then showed the awful welts all over the kids bodies. WTF.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Middle of a lake, completely becalmed, I counted specks of dust going by (THAT CALM)... tiller pilot on... I jumped off the boat (it was a race boat, and yes it was quite quick), just then boat got a tiny puff (accelerated to 4-5 knots, yes the boat was that fast)... and I figured out I cannot swim at 4 knots.

I learned a lesson that darwin could easily have put a nail in it for me. You see middle of a lake in the middle of summer, you'd think is pretty safe, considering I was within a strain of a swim (maybe 30-45 minutes) to shore... but do you know how hard it is for a motor boater (or any other boater) to see a swimmer with no lifejacket swimming in the middle of a lake with no one around? Its pretty hard to see.

Now Ironically, everything worked out for the better. I learned some things while water skiing and waving your arms DOES get attention. I flagged down (I kid you not), a boatload of bikini clad women. Now it ironically took some time to convince them that it wasn't a line that my boat "sailed off without me," but I think when I finally said, did you think I had someone drop me in the middle of a lake with no lifejacket (or boat), as a pick up line?

With a fast buzz across the lake to catch up, we found the boat about 1 mile ahead in irons (again) thankfully before it ran aground.

It just as easily could have wound up a tragic story... But the time it happens ALL this goes through your head. Sadly some things are just all sailor. I hit the water, realized my mistake, panic set in... then I started laughing like hell, and admiring how well the old girl sailed away on her own. Seriously... stupid thoughts.

My sail club gave me the dunce award for my own stupidity....and a cow shaped life raft, and a lasso to be used in case of unscheduled unboarding. The cow theme was a thing...the boat name "Mini Moo."

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Couldn't get any of those girls to marry you, eh?
We were making about 4 knots towards Ireland in almost no wind on a sunny, warm day about 500 miles SE of Newfoundland when my watchmate decided he wanted to go in for a swim. As he started to strip down to his jeans I told him, OK, but tie this (a spare jib sheet) on first. He looked at me incredulously, but took the line and threaded it through a belt loop. I told him, no, pass it through ALL your belt loops and tie a bowline around you. He obviously thought I was nuts, but did what I said. I checked the knot to make sure it was right before he slipped off the boat and into the water. He immediately went to the end of the 50' of line and was getting so much water in the face that he had to turn around to breathe. When he had enjoyed his swim sufficiently (a minute?) I pulled him back in - with a winch. He didn't try swimming off the boat again until we were anchored.

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
23,445 Posts
I jumped off the boat (it was a race boat, and yes it was quite quick), just then boat got a tiny puff
Am I following this? You jumped off the boat, while singlehanded with the sails up?

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
23,445 Posts
Yes. That's what he said.
I thought maybe there was someone who didn't know how to sail aboard or something more to it. It's actually hard to believe otherwise, but I guess it was a true confession.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
120 Posts
I love how this thread starts with "OMG this is so dumb, I would never do that!" and quickly is filled with replies (including from the OP and other highly respected members) of "Yeah, it's incredible stupid, I did it once and almost died!" Seems like the main difference is that back in the day, we were incentivized to hide our shame, and these days folks use it to get clicks.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Sailing out of Victoria 'Three hour Sail' Up to 18 youth hostel passengers aboard the 'Thane' Light wind ,making 2 knt Game ..to jump or dive from bow sprit .Pick up quick amidship. usually I'd just double wrist grip and yank aboard. Was popular until a very large male Orca surged up about a meter away from an Aussie's butt as he cleared the water. Just checking to see if it's a delicious seal. Hardly ever lost a passenger

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
We swim off the boat. Not saying I advise it, but we do it. We do a risk assessment. PFD's, trail a line or two. Skipper stays aboard. Situational, not always a good idea. We keep it controlled. Older video.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts