SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase a 105% roller furling headsail for my Crealock 34. I have gathered quotes form a number of lofts, but have narrowed the group down to Doyle Long Island, Ullman Latell, and Hood Rhode Island. All quotes are similar in sail detail and cost.

I have Doyle sails on the boat at this time. I do not have a headsail smaller than 135%, and after sailing this boat for three seasons, that sail can prove to have too much sail area in various wind conditions. I must have a smaller sail for certain times of the year and the new sail must be built to be aligned with the blue water capability of my boat.

I would appreciate "first-hand" comments regarding the various sailmakers I have mentioned, and would also appreciate first-hand comments regarding my choice of the size of the headsail I am planning on having made for my boat. I am going to request a higher clew on the 105.

I previously sailed a cutter rigged Robert Harris design (for 25 years) and the working sails were great to sail under in stronger winds where the gennys could be too much sail.

My boat is rigged as a cutter, and my staysail remains hanked on the deck. Each loft makes their sails at their location, and each loft has a good reputation. I am not predisposed to having to continue with supplementing my Doyle inventory with another Doyle, although my current sails are in excellent condition and originated from the fine Doyle loft in Marblehead, MA.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
During my search for sails I managed to speak with a very nice rep with Doyle. I purchased a main from Super Sails in Ft. Lauderdale. Apparently sails for the PSC are not so scientifically sophisticated to the point each loft has a "better" design. Lets face it we sail cruising boats. Anyway I saved nearly $500 by having he SuperSail logo on my main in lieu of having the Doyle name affixed in the same spot. The sail I have is outstanding and I would recommend SuperSail in Ft. Lauderdale to anyone. IMHO...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.