SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If the boat has a Charles 30 amp charger installed why would you go out and by a cheap 10amp charger when you have one of the best in the boat
Sorry for the confusion, but the amp charger i bought was for the garage.

My Charles 30 amp charger is one of the best? I hope that means it's a three stage charger! Really hoping to not have to replace it. Still waiting on Charles for that information. Apparently, they've discontinued manufacturing of all their battery chargers in 2016.

·
bell ringer
4,805 Posts
You could tell just by watching the voltage. If when you start it it ramps up to something in the 14.x volts, stays there a while, then drops down to 13.2-13.5V or so it is a 3 stage.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is it possible to charge my house batteries with a 10amp plug-in charger without disconnecting them?

·
Registered
21,769 Posts
You do not need to disconnect your batteries to charge them. However, without knowing if the 10amp charger is suitable for your battery chemistry and whether it charges in stages, it’s impossible to answer the rest.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You do not need to disconnect your batteries to charge them. However, without knowing if the 10amp charger is suitable for your battery chemistry and whether it charges in stages, it’s impossible to answer the rest.
so even plug in chargers have to be 3-stage? Oh my. I bought a 10 amp charger from the automotive store last week...

what type of charger would you buy for at home charging and maintenance of FLA batteries?

·
12,163 Posts
I thought the batteries lived on the boat. Why the home charger?

Have you read at all why you want a three stage charger? This is Battery 101

You could use the auto charger say in the winter to keep them topped off if you took the batteries home. They will need a couple hours a month to stay topped off , or get a trickle solar charger.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I thought the batteries lived on the boat. Why the home charger?

Have you read at all why you want a three stage charger? This is Battery 101

You could use the auto charger say in the winter to keep them topped off if you took the batteries home. They will need a couple hours a month to stay topped off , or get a trickle solar charger.
I have read some of the battery literature, and will continue to, but im trying to do some problem solving here. I understand the 3-stage charger is key, but I thought that was for the in-boat system only.I have that 30 amp Charles charger (which may or not be 3-stage) on the boat. Even Charles doesn't know, they asked me for a pic (lol).

Last week, I bought a 10 amp charger for at home so I could try to charge up the dead starting battery that I took home. It's toast, so I replaced it.

It was suggested to me down at the club that maybe my battery charger (on the boat) is only charging the Starting battery and that I should check them with a multimeter, and charge them (with my portable charger) and see if that solves the problem. So that's why I'm asking about this Motomaster 10amp charger I bought last week. I wasn't even thinking about 3-stages when I bought that one. I thought a charger was a charger, more or less. 😳 So auto-chargers aren't three stages, I gather...

·
12,163 Posts
Ok I get it
You can try and charge the old batteries with the 10 amp moto but I wouldn’t leave it unattended.
What’s the model number on the Charles

You are headed I. The right direction with 2. - 6 volt and 3 stage charger
You’ll be an expert and be able to answer all questions in a year😀

Owning a boat isn’t all sailing as you see, but knowing how it works and DYI will not only save you money, but you’ll be able to troubleshoot and fix on any boat for yers to come. And it will happen😀

·
Registered
21,769 Posts
Auto chargers can be three stage too. No idea if yours is or not.

If it’s not, but it is the right charger for your battery type, you can use it for a partial charge. However, to fully charge, it needs to be three stage. Many single stage chargers are just maintainers, that keep a well charged battery topped up and/or accommodate light/intermittent loads, so they don’t drain at all.

Have you read up on the stages of charging. As another mentioned, it would be easy to tell what your Charles is doing with a volt meter, by taking routine readings. Every 15-30 mins for several hours would probably do it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Ok I get it
You can try and charge the old batteries with the 10 amp moto but I wouldn’t leave it unattended. What’s the model number on the Charles

You are headed I. The right direction with 2. - 6 volt and 3 stage charger
You’ll be an expert and be able to answer all questions in a year😀

Owning a boat isn’t all sailing as you see, but knowing how it works and DYI will not only save you money, but you’ll be able to troubleshoot and fix on any boat for yers to come. And it will happen😀
Thanks man. Yeah, it sure isn't all sailing...I've learned more non-sailing stuff than I've learned sailing since I bought this boat. It's a good feeling though.

The Charles is a 30 Amp charger from the 2500 CP series. I'll be down at the boat later to see about an actual model number, cuz so far not even Charles knows what this unit is. lol

If i could trouble you with one more question... while I may try to charge that house batteries with the portable 10amp this weekend, if you were going to have a charger at home for such things, what type of simply battery charger would you be getting? There's one at our local automotive store that can be set to either 2, 8 or 15 Amps, so i guess that makes it sort of a "trickle charger" too.

·
12,163 Posts
Thanks man. Yeah, it sure isn't all sailing...I've learned more non-sailing stuff than I've learned sailing since I bought this boat. It's a good feeling though.

The Charles is a 30 Amp charger from the 2500 CP series. I'll be down at the boat later to see about an actual model number, cuz so far not even Charles knows what this unit is. lol

If i could trouble you with one more question... while I may try to charge that house batteries with the portable 10amp this weekend, if you were going to have a charger at home for such things, what type of simply battery charger would you be getting? There's one at our local automotive store that can be set to either 2, 8 or 15 Amps, so i guess that makes it sort of a "trickle charger" too.
Yes kind off

I would be very up on possibly overcharging issues and constantly monitoring

·
bell ringer
4,805 Posts
those amp settings are meaningless without knowing the max voltage it could do

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Oh, sorry...I tend to leave out the important details when speaking of electricity (still studying).

This one has 115 V as Max input voltage. Is that what you mean? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-nautilus-15-8-2a-battery-charger-maintainer-0111973p.html#srp

I hear so much conflicting information on what will damage a battery. I was told if removed from the boat, it must be kept on a trickle charge, or else...but was also told if it's fully charged it won't loose anything over the winter, even outside.

What time of battery charger would you guys buy if you were looking to maintain it over the winter outside the boat?

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts
That is a single voltage charger and the battery should not be left on it for more than the time it takes to get to 100%. The manual does not indicate any float voltage just 14.8V, 14.4V or 14.1V. Doing this 24/7 will ruin batteries. This type of charger is the very definition of misleading marketing.

If you wish to maintain them over the winter get a small marine charger such as a ProMariner ProSport 6A

·
bell ringer
4,805 Posts
what Maine Sail said

You know you don't really have to put a battery on a "maintain" charge don't you? Put it in the garage, charge it, disconnect it and leave it alone for months and recharge it when ready to put back into service.

You are making this too hard over an inexpensive battery.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Any real charger that drops to float is a 3-stage charger.

Only a power supply that stopped upon reaching the voltage setpoint would be a single stage, CC/Bulk only.

The timing of the transition from CC to CV / Absorb stage is not something regulated by the charger

but naturally determined by chemistry, acceptance rate, SoC, and current made available. The battery only draws the most amps it can depending on those conditions

the regulator only holds voltage capped until its stop-charge algorithm says bank is Full

and the drop to Float.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
To OP. Just buy one good marine charger if you need it, usually $300-500

Don't futz around with crappy automotive gear.

Sorry but did not read all the thread.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
If you can you should return the auto charger unless you need it for your car at home still you would be better served by having a good charger for your car also.

I have a suggestion for your battery problems. Put in two less expensive batteries of the same chemistry suggest flooded lead acid into your house battery tray. Rewire your battery system so that the two batteries can be used as two separate batteries: Bank 1 and Bank 2. If you charge them right you will get a couple of years of use out of them. If you do decide to add refrigeration or need extra capacity later you can add to these batteries next year.

You can spend the hundreds of dollars saved on wood and epoxy to rebuild your other battery tray, buy a good multimeter, and upgrade your battery charger if your current model is not a 3 stage charger.

·
12,163 Posts
If you can you should return the auto charger unless you need it for your car at home still you would be better served by having a good charger for your car also.

I have a suggestion for your battery problems. Put in two less expensive batteries of the same chemistry suggest flooded lead acid into your house battery tray. Rewire your battery system so that the two batteries can be used as two separate batteries: Bank 1 and Bank 2. If you charge them right you will get a couple of years of use out of them. If you do decide to add refrigeration or need extra capacity later you can add to these batteries next year.

You can spend the hundreds of dollars saved on wood and epoxy to rebuild your other battery tray, buy a good multimeter, and upgrade your battery charger if your current model is not a 3 stage charger.
That’s a waste and inefficient separating the two batteries into two banks. Even if they were two 12 volts.. what’s the purpose of that.

Besides, OP has already decided correctly to combine 2-6volt to make one 12 volt banK. If he charges corrrectly with a 3 stage charger and occasionally desulfates them, he will get many more than 2 yers as they have more cycles . Who wants to go through the hassle and expense of getting new batteries every two years. Now is the time to start building his system for the future. No need to wait two years

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
That’s a waste and inefficient separating the two batteries into two banks. Even if they were two 12 volts.. what’s the purpose of that.
How is it a waste putting two batteries on separate banks? Since his other battery location is currently unuseable, this is his only option to have two banks until he rebuilds his starter battery box. Do you operate your boat on a single battery bank? If you don't would you? I would do so only in an emergency but would do everything to have a second starting option.

The reason I don't think he should put in two high end 6-v batteries are:

Something is possibly wrong with his electrical system that caused his old banks to go bad. It sounds like he is looking to throw new batteries at it without determining if there is something wrong first.

He currently does not have the knowledge to repair any issues if he can find them.

This is not a cost is no object project. He is concerned about the cost of epoxy to rebuild his battery box or the cost of a multimeter.

He does not know if 6v batteries will even fit, but he might impulse buy them because Sailnet told him to do so. If it does fit will he be able to also fit another battery in that compartment, or is he stuck with a single bank until he repairs his other battery box.

I estimate a single 6v battery bank to cost over $500 Canadian, which is a waste of money if they are put into an electrical system that killed his last 3 batteries.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts