SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a budget for a live aboard. I am in the army for just a few more months so I am used to tight quarters and sparce living arrangements. I have looked at a 1967 grampian classic 31 in impeccable condition that i can get for 13k and on the other spectrum I liked the 2003 catalina 270 that can be had for around 45k. I am looking for boat for the money and slow depreciation and both seems to be good fits. Since I want to live aboard the grampian seems a better bet but the 270 has that new feeling.

As far as boat use I live in coastal georgia and would be interested in cruising down the the bahamas and carib. The grampian has a full keel but I have not been able to find much anyformation on how sea worthy she is and the 270 seems to be much more of a costal cruiser then going about the carribean. Some advice please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,
I can't recommend from experience, but try looking at Sail Calculator Pro v3.52 - 2000+ boats and compare them side by side. Both boats are there.
I don't know anything about Grampians, but I would definitely do for an old boat, especially if she's been taken good care of. Your budget has to include refit and equipment so you can have old, but fully equipped boat (proper size anchor, long chain, perhaps even little oversized rigging) for the price of basic and unequipped model of new boat.
Good luck

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Of course, one major thing to consider on a 1967 boat is whether the standing rigging has been replaced or not. If not, it is past due.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If the owners of either boat have kept accurate repair/service records, this could help you to choose between them. Regardless, arrange to have the boat professionally surveyed (especially the older boat) before you sign on the dotted line.

I would also suggest you look at larger boats in the 30-34 ft range. The more space, the more comfortable you'll be and it's really no more difficult to singlehand a 34 ft. boat than a 27 footer. Also, if you ever add a cruising partner, or invite some friends to cruise with you, you'll appreciate the extra space.

Good luck!

·
Registered
994 Posts
this is kind of off subject Jeff, but i noticed you said you wanted to live aboard and currently reside in coastal Georgia. Georgia has some technicality laws that make living aboard pretty much illegal. Just something to look into if you plan on staying there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that is great news that GA does not allow liveaboards that is rather foul. I will have to look into that. I appreciate the good information and opinion. The owner of the grampian has sweatened the deal by offering a nice dinghy with a relatively newer outboard motor. The boat is sail ready though he is finishing up refinishing the decks. I think for the price it is going to be hard to go wrong. I just have to fig out a way around ga law though I should be moving to miami in sept...perhaps they will be less communist about the whole live aboard thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any opinions on a nordic folkboat? I really like the lines on it, its affordable, and itll get me into blue water on a budget. Looks like the downside is not a very spatious cabin for any extended liveaboard comfort?

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
Jeff,

I'm guessing that you are in/around Savannah (FSGA or HAAF.) Been there, done both. Thank you for your service. and might I add "Hooah."

Although GA has the "no live-aboard" law, my experience is that it's -- shall we say -- selectively enforced. If you stay in a marina, and manage not to piss off your neighbors and/or marina staff, you're not likely to have any problems. Of course, if your new home becomes an eyesore or vermin/vector hotel you'll probably get unwanted attention.

RLTW,
PorFin

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no harm in giving it a go what's the worse that can happen. My longtime g/f has a place so I will probably spend my time back and forth perhaps giving the appearance that I don't live in my boat just like to sleep there a lot! Since I am both an officer and a gentleman perhaps I can pull it off given those circumstances. And ... hooah!

·
Registered
452 Posts
any opinions on a nordic folkboat? I really like the lines on it, its affordable, and itll get me into blue water on a budget. Looks like the downside is not a very spatious cabin for any extended liveaboard comfort?
Too small. There is no standing headroom. Slow, they have very short waterline. If you really like the lines, look at Alberg 29,30 or Bristol 27-29.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually my situation is quite good I already have my BA and the army is giving 4 more years of free school room and board!!! You can't be that all I had to do is go to iraq for a few years!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
You have my respect. All I had to do is go over sea's A few years ago. about 35 lol

Lets talk about sailing. Put money in the bank. Moving aboard a boat too small boat is mistake. Keep looking. DO NOT SETTLE FOR A BOAT YOU CAN AFFORD NOW! You will find the right boat at the right price for you. Don't get in a rush.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Grampian

Go with the bigger older boat if in good condition, it is probably built better. It wil have more room which is really nice!:laugher

·
Registered
452 Posts
Go with the bigger older boat if in good condition, it is probably built better. It wil have more room which is really nice!:laugher
There are many newer boats in 26-27 ft range having more room than older 30 footers
However question was about older vs newer. I do believe that in a price range in question it is make sense to buy a boat at the bottom of depreciation table. There are hundreds 30 ft boats in $10000- 15000 range. It is hard to find one in Bristol conditions; however there are many usable ones. You buy one for 10 grand; keep it in running conditions, and sell it for 10 grand. Yeah, you probably spend some money and many hours to keep it afloat; however it is a fun time. Alternative is to buy newer boat, do nothing and get a hit selling it. Money wasted is about the same, the fun factor, in my opinion, is much higher in first case. :)

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
jeff, you may find that some of the military bases have dockage available for current and retired servicemen--at bargain rates. Do look into that, no matter how GA feels about liveaboards, they'll have no say in the matter at a military base. Certainly worth looking into.

Going to Iraq is easy. Coming back--that's the hard part. Welcome home.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I am taking the plunge and the grampian classic 31 is getting a haulout and survey. I think for the money it is the best buy for my circumstances pending any issues that come up in a survey. The questions I have not been able to answer from an objective source is what the sailing capabilities of this full keeled 31 footer are. Anyone have an idea? Any limitations on sailing the carribean etc?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Congratulations... post photos when you can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts