SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, being that my boat is down south, have attempted my first surfboard construction (actually a paddleboard for my daughter). This has nothing to do with sailing other than that the wind may blow the thing to a lee shore if set adrift:)

Attachments

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
I like it .... may have to make one for the better half. You have a bit more info on how you made it ???

ATB

Michael

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like it .... may have to make one for the better half. You have a bit more info on how you made it ???

ATB

Michael
I'm certainly no expert at this kind of thing but I used some regular EPS insulation foam, cut the side profile and epoxied the long pieces together to make up the 30" width. That formed a blank with the right rocker shape. Got the shape researching various websites. Cut out the perimeter shape, formed it with a power plane and belt sander then hand sanded. Glassed it over with 2 layers of 6 oz e-glass/colored resin, 1 additional layer of fabric under foot. Did the bottom first and then lapped over the top layers so overlap is on the side, about 4" of overlap when done. Added the side and stripe colors afterward with colored resin. One "hot coat" over all, sanded out down to 3200 grit wet or dry (wet).

Built the paddle from some left-over 1/8 x 1.5" cedar strips I had from another project.

I don't really see what the attraction of this paddleboarding thing is but a LOT of people seem to be doing it. My daughter wanted to try it so, sounded like a good project. It was fun messing around swirling the colored resin. These new surfboard resins don't stink like West System and is a lot nicer to work with.Epoxy Resin - Resin Research 2000CE - Greenlight Surf Supply

Reactions: Ferretchaser

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Great project!

I don't really see what the attraction of this paddleboarding thing is but a LOT of people seem to be doing it.
It is oddly fun. There's a bit of technique to it.

The little lake my boat is on rents them, and sometimes the lake is positively thick with paddleboarders. It makes sailing a bit interesting to have to dodge them all.

On Saturdays they do a class of paddleboard yoga! They're hard enough to balance on, I can't imagine doing a tree or a warrior pose and staying upright.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, exactly, she wants to do the paddleboard Yoga thing:)

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
In that case I better make it 5 foot wide

Reactions: jimgo and Minnesail

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm certainly no expert at this kind of thing...some regular EPS insulation foam...cut the side profile and epoxied the long pieces...cut out the perimeter shape, formed it with a power plane and belt sander then hand sanded...Glassed it over...Added the side and stripe colors...sanded out down to 3200 grit...Built the paddle from some left-over 1/8 x 1.5" cedar strips.
Oh, so it's just something you threw together then.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Around $450. I did waste some resin, not wanting to run short in the middle of the glassing. Also have cloth left over because it's cheaper when you buy >25 yds. Used 2.25 sheets of 2" thick Dow blue Styrofoam t&g insulation, 2.5 gallons of resin, 14 yards of 6 oz e-cloth, part of 4 pigment tubes, 6 sheets of wet or dry, 1 Goretex vent carrier handle, 1 skeg box, 1 skeg. The board is 9'-6" so materials for a larger board would be proportionally more.

If you have a source for a styrofoam surfboard blank nearby, that would be a much easier way to go. I'm in the boonies here and have no access to actual surfboard foam. The shipping would be prohibitive. Be careful about the foam used. It needs to be closed cell and non-absorbent. The EPS foam will never get saturated even if water eventually gets inside the glass. Some of the other insulation foams are a like a sponge. The blue DOW is minimally dense (not too hard) and must be coated with at least 2 layers of 6 oz. with an extra layer under foot. Surfboard foams are denser and can apparently be coated with as little as 1 layer of 4 oz for a high performance short board. I have not weighed this board (I don't own a scale) but it feels like around 25#.

I would have taken more pix of the stages of building it but being covered in epoxy goo with gloves and mask on is not conducive to holding a camera.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts