SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new boat on order now. what is the groups opinion on surveying a new hull?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had a survey done on my 49 which I bought new. I spent lots of money on a marginal survey because most of the dealer installed stuff was not installed yet. I did want the hull tapped out for voids and I figured the warrantee would Hopefully deal with the rest. My suggestion is to do a deal with a local surveyor to tap the hull only and not a full survey

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

·
Dirt Free
2,757 Posts
Wait until a month before the warranty expires. Use the time in between to find the best surveyor available. I've never seen a new boat that did not have something wrong with it and more that did not show up for a year or two.

Reactions: benesailor

·
Registered
379 Posts
Wait until a month before the warranty expires. Use the time in between to find the best surveyor available. I've never seen a new boat that did not have something wrong with it and more that did not show up for a year or two.
Although this is a valid point, I think there is value in identifying major problems even minor ones before accepting the boat and getting them fixed while they are commissioning the vessel. After all, it's a lot harder getting work done after the dealers been paid.

·
Dirt Free
2,757 Posts
Although this is a valid point, I think there is value in identifying major problems even minor ones before accepting the boat and getting them fixed while they are commissioning the vessel. After all, it's a lot harder getting work done after the dealers been paid.

I survey 2-3 new boats per year and yes I have found significant issues in rare cases. Most of the issues though are small and would not justify the cost of the survey. Some issues that would be difficult or near impossible to find won't reveal themselves for a few months or a year.

·
56 Posts
I bought a 37 through AYS fall of 2012 and did not have it surveyed. We found a couple of punch list items during commissioning and a couple more during this past summer. AYS took care of them promptly and pleasantly. Never thought of having the hull sounded, could be a good idea I guess. I think Beneteau does really nice glass work (if not fancy interior joinery). The 2008 boat I did sea trials on didn't have a single spider or stress crack in the gel coat and she was used a lot.

·
Dirt Free
2,757 Posts
I thought most insurers always required a survey. Then again I've never bought a boat new.
I know of no underwriter who requires a survey (for insurance purposes) on a new boat unless homebuilt. Some will require a survey when the boat reached 5yrs of age and I know of one who does not require a survey until 15yrs. old.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not getting a real consensus here. The systems are not what i am too worried about as they are warranted for 2 years. Underlying structure, and reasonable installation is what I would be looking for.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
"IF" you do not feel you can do the underlying structural, etc things you mentioned, by ALL means get an inspection for piece of mine. I know of some folks that get inspections for new homes. The $300-500 for this could be money well spent considering you are spending probably close to $200K for this boat, depending upon options, local sales tax etc.

Marty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts