SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to tell everyone(meaning the whole world) that i'm the proud new owner of a 1986 Catalina 22. She's on the lake just north of houston where I bought her. I moved her from from the PO's private slip to a marina slip about a mile away on Saturday. (solo and not having sailed since college 12 years ago) I was on the third tac, in 15-20's when the rudder snapped...well thats another story. God i love boats :D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hey, Mark..

Congratulations on your new boat. I had an '86 as well, #14312.

Was it a fixed or kick-up rudder?

I once new someone who had an extra.

David

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Congratulations... but you really need to post photos, or we won't believe you. :) :p

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mark,

Congrats and welcome to the net.:) I sail an '83 C22, #11735 named Stargazer. She's a lot of fun to sail and there are lots of mods and upgrades folks have made to their boats that they share with others here and on other sites.

Besides Chip Ford's site (ChipAhopy), recommend you visit the C22 National Sailing Association site, and join the C22NSA. Lots of good info out there on C22s. The C22NSA site is where many C22 owners buy/sell stuff. You might find a replacement rudder there.

Lots of help available here, too. This forum is an almost bottomless font of knowledge on all matters sailing.

Again, congrats. I know you're going to have a ball with your new C22:thewave:

Happy sailing,

Pat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

the dock master at my marina had a rudder and gave it to me for free! now i just have to become an electrician and a small engine mechanic. i'm not posting her name as she was un-named when i got her, i might be a little supersticious but i'll tell no-one her name until her naming party/cerimony. the pictures i'm working on (anyone seen my charger?). my 2001 yamaha 6hp four-stroke won't run at idle speeds while in gear and won't run at low enough rpm's to shift into gear. real tricky for a newby to solo dock. apparently the PO found a way to crank the boom vange so tight that he bent the boom about 8-10 degrees! i didn't you could do that! me and couple of trees got it back to about 1-2 degrees off straight. that was a nerve wracking redneck moment, so i decided to live with the slighter bend. well i'm off to put a backing plate on the motor mount....he did tell me he didn't like to read alot.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
The outboard's carb probably needs a rebuild. Sounds like the low/idle port is plugged. You'll either want to boil it out with carb soak, or have a mechanic go through it. Get the carb kit before you start, if you DIY. It should come with instructions. If not, a manual would be a good investment.

BTW - If the gas smells sickly sweet (not normal). Dispose of it (properly). Fresh gas probably won't fix the problem, but the bad stuff will just keep gumming up the works.

I once had a 1988 C-22, and it is a great boat. Mine was a wing keel. How the PO bent the boom IS a puzzle!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mark, I have a 1983 Honda 7.5 hp 4-stroke engine on my C22, and within a few months of when I bought it in 1998, I started having the same problem you are having with the Yamaha.

A friend gave me 2 small, stainless-steal wires, one smaller than the other. I don't know the gauge, but I used them (and continue to use them) to ream out the ports on the carburetor. You'll have to remove the carb from the motor to do this. My friend also recommended that I never run ethanol in the motor if I could avoid it, keep a fuel stabilizer in the tank, and run the engine dry by disconnecting the fuel line at the end of each use. I have done this ever since and have never had the problem again. I find that I have to do the ream-out a couple times a year, and it keeps the motor purring like a kitten.:)

Give this a try before you go to the expense of a rebuild kit/overhaul.

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts