SailNet Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
It's odd, because my marina is not full, a lot of people chose not to go in this summer, yet the 'sale pending' notices on local boats are higher than I have ever seen. Can't really tell if it's new boaters or not. Some of the choices are a bit questionable for great lakes day sailing, ie -albergs and the like, which leads me to believe the buyers knowledge of sailboats may be a bit lacking, or maybe they are seasoned owners who know what they are getting...dunno.
Our Canadian neighbors are not in and I suspect won’t be this year. I don’t think they can even travel to the US. IIUC, Canadians are restricted from traveling between their own provinces, which must make boating hard, unless ones boat, home and cruising grounds are all within one.

Our marina is near full. A few open slips, maybe 3. We’ve been out on anchor for the last two days and the world has sprung back to life. We’ll see, if that’s good or bad. Staff in stores and restaurants all wear masks. People are spending money again (50% wearing masks). Think there are folks working remotely, from their boat. With schools closed, I think some got a jump on heading out with the family and want bigger/better boats, if their boat is their second home.

We’ll see how long the buying spree lasts, but it seems to have spurred demand for now.

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
Same thing is happening in a lot of markets. Pandemic buying sprees. Pools, motorhomes, motorcycles - selling like hotcakes. I think its also related to the massive spike in park attendance.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
I was thinking about replacing a 14 year old runabout car, with a new one, about 6 weeks ago. The car dealers were advertising significant discounts, but I hesitated, while wondering to buy new or used. One was 10% employee discount pricing for everyone. Wow. I just went and looked again today. No advertised discounts to speak of.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm selling my boat right now and the potential buyers are making my head spin. Half of them have never been on a sailboat before. The questions and comments I have to field are a bit troubling if this is the future! Absolutely zero knowledge or research. Maybe that's typical for an entry level boat? They're all 20 somethings - some wealthy, some not. But they all want a boat because they're friend just got one and they want one too.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Our marina has been slow to fill up this season. The hard-partying slipholders who occupied about 6 contiguous slips are gone, presumably because the local bars were closed and are now operating limited hours and socially distanced. It has gradually started to fill up again with new tenants, mostly sailboats. This weekend I noticed a newly arrived Hunter (boat looks about 20 years old) next to me on the other side of the finger pier. Another guy told me that he had come in WAY too hot, and collided with TWO docked boats on the way in. His stern hit a beautiful Meridian cruiser across the fairway and bent his bow roller (he didn't allow enough room for his stern to swing when he turned into the slip) and then his anchor hit and badly scratched a navy blue powerboat right next to him. The Meridian cruiser is owned by a marina employee, who says that the guy still hasn't called his insurance company to report the accident. So in one trip he pissed off his new nextdoor neighbor and one of the marina employees.

I'm glad that we are separated by a finger dock, but still concerned that he may completely miss his slip next time and collide with me.

I don't know whether this guy is totally new to boating, but it sounds like it.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
We sold our boat last August. For some reason, the listing site refuses to take down the listing after countless requests and demands, so it still looks active. I didn't know this listing was still active because I didn't received any inquiries for 9 months. In the past 3 weeks, I've received 5 inquiries on the boat.

Mark

21 - 27 of 27 Posts