SailNet Community banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
I am probably a little biased, ok maybe a lot biased, to Catalina 22's having owned two of them and from what you say about wanting to sail at different area lakes and possible trailering to the ICW this is a great boat for you. I have kept a 22 on a mooring ball, in drydock, in a slip and also trailered from my house over the years to be able to sail different places. Trailering and rigging for sailing gets easier over time and overnighting or weekending for two people isn't bad. I have spent a week on mine before and enjoyed it although you want to keep everything stored as space is limited, the pop top adds some relief at anchor with the additional raised headroom. Mine current 22 came equipped with a roller which makes singlehanding easier and I purchased a new main sail which I will try out when I launch this coming wekend. I currently have a 6 HP evinrude but have used everything from a 72 lb thrust trolling motor and a 2 hp mariner on a small local sailing lake to the current evinrude for larger lakes. One thing I would check for very carefully with a 22 is the condition of the deck, my first had a severe case of deck rot which I found was somewhat common in early models if maintenance was not a priority with prevous owners. Like most have stated previously I do have a case of 3 foot itis but it does not keep me from enjoying the boat I have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Catalina 22, hands down. I sailed Lake Norman for the 5 years I lived in Charlotte, NC. I had a Beneteau 235 and 22-24ft is a perfect size for the lake. You need something that can move in light air and be easy to trailer launch off shallow ramps. Look up the Lake Norman Yacht Club for the active racing sailors on the lake...some great people and sailors there. They also have docks/storage yard and deep ramps...worth looking into for knowledge and a social sailing environment.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Another vote for the Catalina 22....but don't be painting the hull blue if you will be doing any overnights...gets very hot especially
down your neck of the woods!

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Big plus on that Catalina is the replaced keel pivot pin. It is a known weak point and swing keels have fallen off.

The only upgrade you might come to want is a roller reefing headsail esp. if you single hand.

Having said that I singlehanded my Catalina 22 with hank on headsails up the west coast of Scotland one summer and down the Adriatic the next. Mind you there were times.............

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Big plus on that Catalina is the replaced keel pivot pin. It is a known weak point and swing keels have fallen off.

The only upgrade you might come to want is a roller reefing headsail esp. if you single hand.

Having said that I singlehanded my Catalina 22 with hank on headsails up the west coast of Scotland one summer and down the Adriatic the next. Mind you there were times.............
You'll really want a roller furling headsail, but fear not, they only cost $40 to make.
$40 DIY roller furler

MedSailor

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
There are reasons for this. ;)

The mac seriously compromises any abilities to sail for 2 things. 1: A roomier interior. 2: The ability to plane with a big outboard.
If he really means a Mac 25, he doesn't mean the weird hybrid Mac 26M/X. And I doubt you'd find a 26M/X for price competitive with a C22, unless it's really beat up.

All models before that (26D,S) were real sailboats and seem to get good reviews for sailing performance, if lightly built. Differences were just in keel - swing vs. daggerboard.

BTW if it's really a 25, it doesn't have water ballast either - it has a ~700lb swing keel. I sailed a Siren 17, which is a Canadian knock-off of a Mac/Venture 17, and it was actually reasonably stiff for what it was.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Guys thanks for all your responses! I look forward to using your experience and knowledge in this purchase. I did speak to the owner of the Mac 25 and it is not a water-ballast keel. It is a swing lead/steel keel. Unsure of the material. He stated that the boat is very well taken care of but he is in his 70's and cant sail anymore due to health issues. I also found another C22 that is the same year but needs some TLC... The owner stated that I could sail it right away, but it needs a good cleaning. This one stands out because it is only $2900 (same price as the MAC 25) and he is the original owner. The outboard was replaced 4 years ago and "runs fine". Also he replaced the keel cable 4 years ago. He said he has not replaced the keel pin but he has not had to as of yet. But he said other than that the boat is ready to be on the water. The only reason he is selling is to pay attorney fees for divorce and his kids have no interest in sailing. Do you think it is worth a look especially since it is a 1 owner 86? I have not ruled out the Mac25 but does it handle like a sailboat or like a hybrid?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Also do you think a vehicle rated for 3500 lbs. towing capacity will have any issues towing this? will I need a larger truck?

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
I have not ruled out the Mac25 but does it handle like a sailboat or like a hybrid?
The Mac 25 handles like a sailboat.

It is the (much) later 26M and X models from the late 90s and on which are weird power hybrids. Mac as a builder takes a lot of flak for them in sailing circles, which is unfair to the earlier models.

Visit all the boats if you can. Read this thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/48177-boat-inspection-trip-tips.html, bring a camera, take lots of a pictures, post the results here for the peanut gallery to analyze. Check out the increased size/space of the Mac 25. Check out the sail inventories of all the boats. Look at the age/condition of all the outboards. And the trailers.

Then buy the boat that adds up the best, for your intended use.

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
Also do you think a vehicle rated for 3500 lbs. towing capacity will have any issues towing this? will I need a larger truck?
Manufacturers have wildly different ways of setting their towing ratings, but you should be good - the Mac 25 comes in around 2100lbs, and the C22 a little more around 2500.

What's your vehicle? I used to regularly tow my 4000+lb behemoth of a woodie behind a Toyota Sequoia and a Nissan Pathfinder (i.e. not super-massive SUVs) and had no problems with a double-axle trailer, but things could get dicey on windy days in the wide-open Ontario countryside at speeds above 45-50mph. All your boat options should sit much lower on the trailer than mine so you probably won't have problems - I towed the Siren 17 at 65mph without trouble.

If your ramp is steep, you may need 4WD - or at least keeping the ramp scrupulously dry and dropping the pressure in your rear tires - to get back out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I agree with you I want to see all the boats before making a decision. What do you think about towing? Are any of them over 3500 lbs. ?

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
If he really means a Mac 25, he doesn't mean the weird hybrid Mac 26M/X. And I doubt you'd find a 26M/X for price competitive with a C22, unless it's really beat up.

All models before that (26D,S) were real sailboats and seem to get good reviews for sailing performance, if lightly built. Differences were just in keel - swing vs. daggerboard.

BTW if it's really a 25, it doesn't have water ballast either - it has a ~700lb swing keel. I sailed a Siren 17, which is a Canadian knock-off of a Mac/Venture 17, and it was actually reasonably stiff for what it was.
Thanks for the correction. The M26 is a strange boat with lots of compromises. It actually can be a good cruiser for some people, but the M26 is really best thought of as a powerboat with limited space and a toy sail rig to have fun with rather than a sailboat.

I have no experience with or knowledge of the M25, so I'll let others chime in on that make and model.

MedSailor

·
Registered
24 Posts
Creel,
Lake Norman (Cornelius) is my prior home. It is a great lake & there are many experienced sailors there. I had an 8 meter S2, & kept it at my condo in Vineyard Point. If you're looking for some experience, there are weeknight races (Wed if I remember correctly) on the South side of the lake. Lake Norman Yacht Club also has some through out the year. It is a BIG lake with lots of coves to park. I would go for the Catalina & think about keeping it in the water on Norman. Kings Point Marina is a good spot & Lake Norman Company had dock space all over the lake. Be sure to have a working depth meter on Norman! There are a lot of bars (earthen ones) & old house foundations to be found; a couple good restaurants too. Beware the NASCAR boys on "off" weekends. Good luck!
Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
has anyone heard of a Siedlemann 25? I cant find any info on it when I search here. The boat is for sale at a local marina and is floating but needs work they say. Should I stay away from this brand?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts