SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can offer advice based on our family's 38 year ownership of a CAL 21 (Hull # 285, 1970 model). We had the pivot area of the keel rebuilt a few times due to rusting around the pivot hole (by the way, pivot bolt should be 1" diameter, locking bolt was 1/2" -5/8" (don't recall exactly) but we modified our keel to allow use of a 1/4" brass bolt to allow it to break if we went hard aground (after bending a monel replacement of the original locking bolt when we hit a rock, ripping hte area of the keel trunk around the locking bolt). Yes, it DID make one heck of a BANG when we hit that rock!

I have lots of pictures. but unfortunately since we sold the boat in 2008, may or may not have what you need for pics. There was a link off Richard Fuller's Cal 21 web site with pictures of an owner rebuilding his boat's keel, it helped us... might help others!

We had a 4.5 hp British Seagull outboard originally, upgraded to a 4.5 hp Johnson in 1981, then a 4DLX Johnson (4hp) in 1989. the most common outboard on CAL 21s seems to have been the 6hp Johnson/Evinrudes. I wouldn't put anything more than that hp on, but I wouldn't go less than 3hp (although my little 2 hp Johnson would push NODROG if needed!). My advice would be 4-5 hp for most boating areas.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.