SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Catalina-22 It does not have a compass. I would like to have one. You all know I am not going to cross an ocean in this boat. GPS is the king daddy. Again I just want to have a compass.
I am blessed my 1974 has had a few owners and the bulk head has not been drilled. I am not going to drill the bulk head ! Not for a compass and that narrows down what I might pick out. I like some of the bulkhead mounts that also have a heel angle but my wife works as an audible alarm with doubtful accuracy:laugher:laugher
I have been looking at the Ritchie tactician and thinking on putting it on the sliding companion way hatch . Not sure what the 12345678()12345678 is about lifts and throws and wind shift. I would like to be able to remove it at the end of the day so it might not find a new home in the middle of the night. This would have the compass on the center line in a heads up spot.
I am also looking at some of the larger hand held Plastimo iras 100
I saw a motor boat flush mount that was very good at not spinning and I am in a small craft.
I am surrounded by land and bass fishing boats I can only look at stuff on the PC so Please help
Thanks. Lou

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
How about this... Cut a board just a little taller than the compass , now trim the ends to fit the low end of the companion way, mount compass on said board . It would be easy to step over, up on the hatch would be a head knocker for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an old 22' sailboat and am likewise considering a compass. May I ask- why don't you want to drill the bulkhead? It seems an excellent location.

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I thought about making or getting the top of the three companion way boards and putting a compass in the center, pull out the compass when not needed and have the hole as a vent. I could carry an extra board but the boat is to small to waste space. I have three boards cut in a v and a top hatch that slides forward toward the bow. The t I do not have the pop top. Even if I did I am not planning to drill the top I am hopping I can just fix a way to mount the compass in a (cup ) Kind of like the way they do on some sailors do on the Laser It is not a part of the boat.
I just wish I could see or know how tall the Ritchie compass is I want to avoid the looks like it was stuck on top with bubble gum look. I wish I could see how others have placed their compass. I have seen a few drilled through the bulk head off to the left or right.
Thanks, Lou

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A few reasons I would not say they are the best but here they come. I have little real knowledge. I sailed a 36 hunter OPB with the compass on binnacle and it was so nice. It was just good. Checked the track on some kind of GPS and it was nice straight lines. This leads me to think the compass needs to be in the center. Went across lake Erie a few times and we had the compass in the center no GPS VHR RDF radar just a compass. I would have the helm for an hour or from time to time. A compass seems to get a person close enough to find the light house.
I like my boat because in all the owners in three states not one has gone nuts with a drill putting holes in the boat for cup holders navigation equipment or anything else. This means few leaks. I have one window seal that dips in a frog drowning rain. I will fix it.
If I put a hole in the bulkhead for the next guy it will be on the wrong side and not the type of compass he wanted. I am crew racing in the summers on a sister Catalina-22 with a compass on the bulkhead we never use it. Just a tick tack and it is only used for time at the line and boat speed.
I am not sure how useful an off center on the low side compass will be.
Anything I get and the last thing on my list will be electronics. In this way I will have the most up to date when and if I do buy. I might want all hand held since the boat is small and I can toss them when they get so far out of date as to be useless . I am on the shoe string plan. :)
Good day, Lou

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
If you do not want to drill the bulkhead I would install it on the lowest companionway board or on a removable board that spans the cockpit's footwell at the forward end. I wouldn't install it on the top board as you will have to remove that board to access the cabin.

·
Registered
545 Posts
buy a super cheap compass used or just a piece of paper with a picture on it and move it around until it suites you.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The bottom companionway slate is the perfect spot for the compass, it's easy to make a spare slat and even easier to install the compass there. I've been considering moving mine there.

I currently have a compass on the port bulk head and quiet frankly it's useless there when sitting on the starboard side of the boat

·
Registered
31 Posts
Speaking of hand held- would one of those relative bearing devices be suitable? We are speaking of coastwise navigation here. For instance leaving Chicago and going to St. Joseph, Michigan. Serious precision isn't really necessary. One can get a course from the bearing compass. And in most cases we would have GPS too. Either a dedicated unit, a smart phone, I-pad or even a laptop with NOAA.

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
There's not much that's going to match the utility of a binnacle compass, given the cockpit layout of a C22.

I have a bulkhead mounted one, and it's not that great. It's far away most of the time, difficult to read, and often blocked by crew. I thought about mounting it on the bridgedeck below the companionway, but there isn't much space there either. I wouldn't personally want to have to have a crib board in to use the compass (if I'm understanding you correctly) but I guess that's a matter of taste.

Whatever you get, check to see what the valid mounting angles are. I know that when I replaced mine, there weren't many that could be mounted on the angled bulkhead of a C22 without some kind of adapter to get it closer to vertical, and the idea of that wasn't appealing to me. I can't picture mine at the moment, but I think the companionway is at the same angle as the bulkhead.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
buy a super cheap compass used or just a piece of paper with a picture on it and move it around until it suites you.
Lol If you give me just a little more to work with I will give you a like.but for now you will have to settle for a picture :)
Good day , Lou

·
Registered
396 Posts
I second the Iris 100. For a boat that size on a lake it's all you should need.
I used one on my Tanzer 22 on Lake Champlain and it was fine. It slides into a small plastic bracket. I mounted it as a binnacle compass on a vertical surface just below the tiller (front of the fuel tank locker), where I could look down at it as I steered, and where it was handy to pick up for hand bearings. It's a lot cheaper than a bulkhead unit and mounts with 2 ST screws.
I think you can get them with and without an internal light.
I found it handy as a guide to coming about, mostly, since I was always in sight of landmarks. A bulkhead mounted compass is way overkill for a small boat and you'd still want another hand bearing compass.
John V.

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish I could see or hold and compare a few. I would have to drive at least two hours to look at a compass in store that would know that big aluminum thing on the boat is not a bass pole Or some kind of huge dip net :laugher I am listening. Kind of though Some Cat-22 / Merit/ West Wright/ or hunter small boat folks would post what they have or like and why .
I gather the hand held GPS must have made the compass just a cute little toy. No matter I still want a compass just not sure of the one. A compass does not need a battery.
Good day, Lou

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Larry, I took the time to watch some u tube. Nice boat !
I am thinking you might be the type to think about a classic wood sail boat ?
Anyway I am still window shopping. I would still like to hold and see to compare one compass against the next. A picture is not the same.
Good day, Lou

1 - 16 of 16 Posts