SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in Wired Magazine's online site. Having one of these trumps the discussions about alcohol versus propane. I'd think that a lot of serious cruiser would want one, since it means using drastically less fuel.

Jet Engineer Designs a Saucepan That Boils Water Ridiculously Fast | WIRED

Here's a picture from that link...

But there's another picture from geek.com that shows an interesting thermal image...

Personally, I like the earlier prototype that is 100% more efficient. Kind of makes you want to build one, with the help of an aluminum welder.

Besides the Wired article, there are a bunch of hits on Google about the "Flare".

While the 3-piece set is $250, I'd think that buying one for boiling water would be the most effiecient way to use this very efficient pot.

Regards,
Brad

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who's going to clean and scrub this?
I think that's the reason for the blended design. With no hard core fins, it's easy to clean but still has a lot of external surface area to transfer heat into it.

Now the one I like? Definitely hard to clean, but I'd get a special brush for it and think it's "really cool" -- not in a hear way.

Regards,
Brad

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
MSR has sold accessory heat exchangers for their pans for two decades. Somewhat useful at sea level; very useful above 10,000'. (Doesn't make pasta cook any faster -- water still boils at 185F -- but it wastes less fuel bringing water to a boil & is great for instant foods & mixes.)

Bet if you could get ahold of some of corrugated aluminum & put it around a standard pan -- maybe using stainless springs to hold it on -- it would work similarly well.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
that's funny...

...last time I checked, all sort of air-cooled devices have fins just like that so they carry heat AWAY...

I'd bet a nice wide pan that 'traps' the heat would do a better job
Same concept air cooling or heating more surface area for heat transfer, this time into the pot, rather than out. I bet they cool off much faster as well. Coils in boilers have fins also to help transfer the heat into the tube to then be transferred to the room via similar fins in the radiators.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
All I know is I want the big pot at 5.5 l and if it saves cooking fuel it will eventually pay for itself also would wash just like any other pan.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
If you are talking about boiling water, wouldn't a kettle be even more efficient? If efficiency is your aim then you'd still be a lot better off with a pressure cooker.
I also noticed how in the thermal images the handle of the new pot was pretty red; what's up with that? Ouch.

·
3,505 Posts
Kettle, pressure cooker and a non stick fry pan the essentials...

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are talking about boiling water, wouldn't a kettle be even more efficient? If efficiency is your aim then you'd still be a lot better off with a pressure cooker.
I also noticed how in the thermal images the handle of the new pot was pretty red; what's up with that? Ouch.
From the online thread, it's reflected IR. Notice how the top of the handle is cool?

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Not sure I follow the economics. $112 for a pot that boils water with less fuel (faster). It isn't terribly clear how much faster, but say twice as fast, which I doubt. I'm trying to think of how long it would take for me to save $80 in propane. I would say at least a decade, probably way more.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts

--enclosed
--wide base
--thin gauge

yer done.
Thin base is good for boiling water, but awful for anything else will cause hot spots and burn things. Simplex tea kettles have been around for a long time and instead of fins have a coil that captures the heat.

The other issue is the surface on the Jet engineer looks to be nonstick, I don't like non stick at all, give me cast iron or stainless any day.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

--enclosed
--wide base
--thin gauge

yer done.
All good, but only the heated air that is right next to the pot is having an effect. Your burner is heating up the cabin more than the pot. Any type of increased surface area on the outside of the pot is good, as it helps get more of that heat into the pot. (Which saves on fuel storage space and puts less heat & humidity into the cabin.)

Regards,
Brad

1 - 20 of 33 Posts