SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Admiral feels that it is time for new sails; who am I to disagree?

About Us:
We keep the boat in Portsmouth, NH; we daysail and cruise from there. We'll go north and south, but mostly north. All the way to Canada before we're done. We hope to do one 'real' trip before we're too old. Maybe Bermuda, maybe the Great Loop.

We don't race and don't plan to start; ease of use and long life are at the top of our list.

We already have an asymmetrical spinnaker, we just need the sock.

My Plan:
Main: Full batten with as much roach as I can get. Loose footed. I've read that full batten sails go up and down more easily and nest nicely in the lazyjacks. Also, that they flog less and last longer.

Big Jib: A roller reefing 150% that will hold its shape when reefed to 135-120. This will replace the headsail we have now and be the one we use most often in the light air of New England.

Small Jib: A roller reefing 100% that will hold its shape when reefed to 80-70 (??). This is the sail that I'll go to when the forecast calls for winds above 15kts or so. Right now, I furl the headsail, reef the main, and fight the weather helm.

I don't believe I need a storm jib for coastal cruising. I'll stay in port or just motor into it. I guess I'd want one for the 'real' trip.

So, that's my thinking. I'd love to hear feedback on the plan and also suggestions for a sail loft; local would be nice.

Ken

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
The Admiral feels that it is time for new sails; who am I to disagree?

About Us:
We keep the boat in Portsmouth, NH; we daysail and cruise from there. We'll go north and south, but mostly north. All the way to Canada before we're done. We hope to do one 'real' trip before we're too old. Maybe Bermuda, maybe the Great Loop.

We don't race and don't plan to start; ease of use and long life are at the top of our list.

We already have an asymmetrical spinnaker, we just need the sock.

My Plan:
Main: Full batten with as much roach as I can get. Loose footed. I've read that full batten sails go up and down more easily and nest nicely in the lazyjacks. Also, that they flog less and last longer.

Big Jib: A roller reefing 150% that will hold its shape when reefed to 135-120. This will replace the headsail we have now and be the one we use most often in the light air of New England.

Small Jib: A roller reefing 100% that will hold its shape when reefed to 80-70 (??). This is the sail that I'll go to when the forecast calls for winds above 15kts or so. Right now, I furl the headsail, reef the main, and fight the weather helm.

I don't believe I need a storm jib for coastal cruising. I'll stay in port or just motor into it. I guess I'd want one for the 'real' trip.

So, that's my thinking. I'd love to hear feedback on the plan and also suggestions for a sail loft; local would be nice.

Ken

For long distance coastal etc., consider a triple reef in the main. Nothing fancy, and you can hand-tie it in when needed. Also a good aid to dampen rolling and add some forward speed when motoring 'into it' .... vs. having high steep chop stop you 'dead'.

Also for the main, I favor an 'over-the-top' leech line system that can be adjusted from the gooseneck/mast/luff, as well as from the aft end of the boom ... saves having to 'hang' over-board to adjust a fluttering leech.
Triple stitched is best for offshore - IMO.

Also consider one of the more UV resistant sail threads - for longer life sun vs. sunlight exposure - added cost.

;-)

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Rich. I found a North Sails distributor that's close by, I'll start with them.

3 reefs, triple stitch, UV resistant... I'll price it out.

Ken

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ken,

Can you give us an update on your planned sail purchase? I'm just getting started looking for a new mainsail for my 29.9, and have begun looking at lofts online. Hyde Direct (JudyB Sails) seems to have a good reputation for well made sails at a fair price, and I am also looking at Doyle, based on a seeing and sailing with the sails a friend bought for his Yankee 28. Any insights or advice you can give would be welcome.

Thanks,
Eric Irvine

·
Master Mariner
8,371 Posts
I'd just like to point out that if you buy your sails online, all measurements are your responsibility. Any problems with the sail and you'll have to ship them back to a sailmaker that's never seen them on the boat or sailed with them.
We had our main built at a local loft and it might have been a bit more money, but they did the measurements and are wholly responsible for my being happy with their product. That alone is worth whatever the cost difference might have been.
And yes, after the charter season ends I'm going to have them tweak it a bit.

Reactions: flyrod

·
Registered
57 Posts
Capta,

Thanks, yes I did think about that but with my location (Great Salt Lake), local lofts are nonexistent. Closest to me I think is San Francisco, where the Doyle loft I mentioned is located.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Eric,

I'll update this thread when we make a decision.

Looks like we'll go through another season with the sails we have.

This year's upgrade is new Chartplotter w/ Radar. :grin

Ken

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ken,

Thanks. I'll update and let you know how the new sail purchase works out, might be a little while yet since the boat is on the hard till the end of March. Enjoy the new chart plotter.

Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you ever get your new mainsail? If so, what did you go with? How do you adjust your mainsail luff tension given that the boom is free floating in the mast track and downward pressure is largely controlled by the mainsheet?

Homer Shannon
Cinderella Bristol 29.9 #46
American Yacht Club, Newburyport

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but thought it might be useful to another 29.9 owner.

We purchased new sails for cruising from Mack sails, into the second year now and very happy with them. We did two deep reefs vs threes reef points. We are currently on the Chesapeake, making our way slowly to the Bahamas for our second time.

Fair winds,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

Did you ever get your new mainsail? If so, what did you go with?
We went with Doyle StackPack. Bought it from their loft in Marblehead, MA, but it was made by their shop in Honduras.

How do you adjust your mainsail luff tension given that the boom is free floating in the mast track and downward pressure is largely controlled by the mainsheet?
Not well, I'm still working it. The halyard seems to bind before I have the tension I want. Maybe my topping lift block is in the way, maybe my halyard splice is too long and binding in its block. I'm going to look at both, but might end up lowering the boom (yuck, yuck) if I can.

Life has been crazy and I haven't had the time to tweak (barely time to sail).

The StackPack was a bear to set up, but works really well.

I paid a lot (IMHO) but Doyle has a good rep.

Ken

Doyle DuraSail w/ StackPack & LazyJacks
2 reefs
2 full battens/2 partial
Sail numbers & Bristol insignia
Sailbag
3,036 USD

·
Registered
22 Posts
We've also decided to scrap the 2 head sail idea and go with a smaller single genny.

Probably a 130% with a high cut foot to keep the sail off the lifelines and give the helmsman a better view.

As I said, we don't race.

Ken

·
Registered
213 Posts
We as well went with a better view under our head sail, far more convenient, not breaking speed records in a 42 year old 29.9 :)

Fair winds,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts