SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I''m in the process of repowering my sailboat (41''keel/centerboard cutter, disp. 28,000.) Most people in the industry seem to lean towards "Yanmar" Although they seem to have the name I''m not so sure of Tec Support I plan on doing my own installation. So far the rapport with Yanmar has been less than encouraging. Seems they only talk with their Dealers. On the other hand I''ve had a very informative talk with "Westebeke" and their East Coast dealer. They seem consumer friendly and appear to provide customer support. Any thoughts out there on this subject? I''d appreciate any fist hand knowlegde on the subject.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perkins diesel engines and parts are avaible around the world, A 4-107 or 108..35 or 50 HP should work for you and you will not be unhappy or disappointed with there world wide service agents. This is from experience.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The small Westebeke are made under contract by others such as Yanmar. They would be better at the support that you are looking for. Also look at Beta Marine 1-800-8003 they are the manufactures for many of the small westerbeke diesels and are looking to increase the direct sales.
Roger

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I''m also repowering my allied mistress sailboat ( 39'' with full keel ).

I chose the Perkin''s M-50 to replace my Westerbeke 4107.

Try looking at the Lister Diesels. I would have chosen Lister had I not already purchased the Perkin''s. The Lister distributor In Fall River, MA was most helpful and informative.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts