SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning on cruising relatively soon and seeking a new dinghy for the adventure. We've been working the past 2-3 years getting our boat ready and recently got an arch with davits. Now ready to find the dinghy! Our boat is custom built 42 ft and for the dinghy to go up front on a long passage- we have limitations due to bronze vents on the forward cabin. We are thinking a 10-11 ft dinghy and must have at least 36 inches between the tubes (actual floor space in the dinghy) to clear the vents. Our initial thoughts are no more than 150 lbs (lighter the better) and considering a hard bottom either aluminum or fiberglass. Prefer not to have one that has to be blown up and stowed away due to space. Lastly considering a 10lb engine to go with it. Would love to hear suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did mean 10hp. Currently I use our dinghy the most and consider it my car as a live aboard in Marina del rey, CA for the last 8 years. So this lady is being tasked to finding her next car! However with long term cruising in our future I think I need to learn more about what does and doesn’t work in the real world. Also have read/seen stuff about 2 stroke vs 4 and we’ve had both over the years (current one is 4-stroke).

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
I thought you were defining our aluminum hull 10.5ft AB (10AL) to a tee. It weighs 130lbs with the bow locker and 117lbs without. The AL model is the one with a flat raised floor, therefore, you don’t stand in bilge water. The UL is even lighter, but you stand against the interior of the hull. I assumed it had 3ft of interior beam, but looked it up and it says only 2’8”. (She’s tied up off our stern right now, but too lazy to climb down there with a measuring tape. I could double check, if you need me to) I think it’s going to be hard to find one much wider. If wider isn’t available, I wonder if you partially deflate the side tubes, if it would work for you. The floor tucks under the tubes, so losing 2” on each side may be possible. Less bounce on the foredeck, if you want to rationalize.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I carry my 11' fiberglass hull inflatable on davits from my arch and the only issue is chaffing from tie downs. I found using the bow line and looping a second line through the drain kept movement to a min. I like your hp selection, as long as you can handle it alone. I have a 20 on another davit and it takes two so I use the 3 hp more often. Might trade both in for a 10 myself.

Have fun!

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
the only issue is chaffing from tie downs.
Do you mean the strap tie downs, while she’s hanging from the davits? I run them through an 18” piece of chafe cover, designed for rope, by lay flat out of the box. They stay firm to the inflatable, but the strap can move slightly inside. Stopped dinghy chafe in those areas completely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts