SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have many members in or around Warwick RI?
I'm interested in knowing more about sailing, and the availability of boats in that area.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,096 Posts
BlackRockSailingSchool.com has a location in Warick and is an excellent ASA program. They also run a member club program with their Colgate 26s, which Is doubtlessly the least expensive way in RI to enjoy a quality, adult sailing experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BlackRockSailingSchool.com has a location in Warick and is an excellent ASA program. They also run a member club program with their Colgate 26s, which Is doubtlessly the least expensive way in RI to enjoy a quality, adult sailing experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information. Are you located in that area?

·
12,232 Posts
Newport is just 12 miles away and has many sailing schools and charters. So does Jamestown
Just google

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
I have a boat in Warwick, and I used to teach for BlackRock.

Not sure what you mean by "availability of boats in that area."

There is an AirBnB "sailing experience" available in the area.

BlackRock "sells" annual timeshares of their boats, and they are the Boston SailTime Franchise. You can join BlackRock and use a Colgate 26, or a Hunter 36, or a Fountain Pajot, Mahle 36 Catamaran.

There are also a fair number of boats for sale..

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
Sailing in the Warwick area is great. It is at the head of Narragansett Bay, so you have all of the bay as a well protected day sailing area. Block Island, Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, Long Island Sound and Buzzards Bay are a day or two away.

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
I'm not in Warwick, but am in the Bay, which is all pretty accessible. What is it you're specifically wanting to know about the area? The great advantage of sailing in our area is that the Bay is always day sail accessible and there are numerous places to go. Newport, of course, but many other little New England towns and plenty of remote anchorages. Whatever you're into.

We prefer to head out of the Bay and sail in open water, typically out to one of the islands for a short stay. If there is a major system offshore or we just don't have the time or our guests are not up to it, we find something to do locally.

Ask away.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've been looking at used boat ads on the various sites. I'm presently a land locked midwesterner. I'm looking to purchase a boat on either the eastern seaboard, or the Great Lakes. My plan would be to have it based somewhere where I could fly to for extended visits to work on it and sail it. I might also consider sailing/motoring it around the Great Loop to Alton Lake, north of St. Louis on the Mississippi River, where I sailed some in my youth. There are marinas there, and good seasonal sailing. When I fully RETIRE retire, that location offers me the ability to sail/motor a boat on around the Great Loop, to Mobile into the Gulf of Mexico.

So, with each boat I consider, I think about where I might move it and base it for awhile. I also consider what route I would take to get it onto, and around, the Great Loop.

Obviously, right now, I can't travel to actually look at any boats, so I'm "window" shopping on the internet. Hopefully we will soon have a resolution to the pandemic, and we can buy and sell boats and sail the world again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
Call me biased, but I don't think there are cruising grounds that compare to the variety available in New England. I've been in this area for 40+ years and there are countless places I've never dropped the hook. Quiet anchorages to major tourist towns and everything in between.

I've sailed on some rivers and in some lakes and the options run out quickly. I'm certainly not familiar with every potential, just my bias.

·
Banned
205 Posts
Look at purchasing a boat in the Med, everything is much cheaper over there than the East Coast, eg. services, mooring, food, the cost of the boat, storage etc., you won’t be disappointed.

When the time comes, I encourage everyone to venture out beyond one’s comfort zone to explore new areas and meet people from different cultures... it’s fun.

When we first began looking for a new boat, a more ocean going vessel 10 years ago, our only interest and focus was on Southern California and/or New England. After purchasing our yacht in The UK and hiring a delivery crew to bring it back to New England, it was the delivery crew who suggested making a left turn and trying out the Med for a season. Now we’ve been there for almost 9 years, you’d be surprised at the low cost of air travel to Europe (during normal times), with the cheaper prices and cruising expenses, it more than offsets the cost of airfare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts