SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a dedicated forum for sailors based in New England? I have a question about Rhode Island marinas.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks! ... I live in Colorado and am buying a boat in Annapolis that I want to register in Rhode Island and sail there this coming summer. So I am hoping to find a marina that I can access easily from an airport. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The Providence airport is located in Warwick, RI.

If you go to the activecaptain.com website and look under the Interactive Cruising Guidebook tab, you can zoom in on Warwick and identify lots of marinas that are in close proximity to the airport. The nearest are in Warwick, East Greenwich, and Edgewood. You can find Brewers yards, which are part of a chain in New England along with many independent yards.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Are you looking to fly in on a regular basis? Or is this a one time thing or a once in a while thing?

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
Easiest marinas to access from the Providence airport are on the northern part of the bay, as indicated above. East Greenwich and Warwick will be about 10 to 15 mins from the airport.

The downside to a slip up there is the distance to get out of the Bay, if you want to cruise to any of the New England Islands (Block, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket, Elizabethans, etc.) And you do!! The cruise from Greenwich Bay to the mouth of the Narragansett Bay will be overan hour, if you motor in a straight line.

If you want to move further down the coast, I would stay on the Western shore of Narragansett Bay. Wickford is probably the next best bet and 20-25 mins from the airport. Despite the comment above, if you want to go all the way down to Point Judith, it will be 45 mins or more, depending on traffic. Although, you would have great access to open water. Ironically, getting back into the Bay from Pt. Judith, if the ocean is boiling, would be problematic.

You could also check Jamestown and Dutch Harbor, but they now require one bridge crossing. Great spots, but adding time. Crossing both bridges to get to Newport would be crazy. Summer traffic is a killer over there.

This is a good time of year to lock something in. Slips are probably just opening up from people who didn't pay their renewals in time. But, don't hesitate. The best spots are taken fast. I think there are something like 15,000 boats on the Bay, although, you would never know it sailing around, other than just outside Newport.

If you have any other questions, several of us have been around a long time on the Bay. Ask at will or feel free to send a PM, if you prefer.

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
You could think about Bristol too. Not far from airport, more northern on the Bay. One of my fav towns on the Bay.

edit: not sure what I was thinking, as you have to travel north to cross the bridge to get over to Bristol. 30 min trip. As the crow flies, it would be 10 mins. :)

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,489 Posts
I keep my boat in Barrington, but I would not recommend this town for airport access. Minnewaska's recommendations of E. Greenwich and Warwick are spot on. Bristol, however, is a long way from the airport.

I recommend the sailing in the east and west passages of Narragansett Bay. On those days when there are small craft warnings in Block Island Sound, I have had comfortable (ideal) conditions for the admiral, inside the bay.

·
Captain Obvious
2,385 Posts
And still a nice sea breeze almost every day inside the harbor!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the helpful info. I will peruse Active Captain.

Are you looking to fly in on a regular basis? Or is this a one time thing or a once in a while thing?
We would be flying in and out infrequently, and using the marina as a base for long cruises. The boat is a Valiant 42 and she wants to see the world. Starting in the Fall of 2015 the plan (fantasy?) is to start full-time cruising, so the RI location will probably be temporary...not that it isn't a wonderful place to sail and hang out. We spent a couple weeks last summer up there on our PSC 31 and loved it...Cuttyhunk, Block Island, Mystic. Stayed at Wickford Marina (not Brewers) and found it delightful. Came by sea so had no idea of land access....

Paul

Paul

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Bunch of valiants in brewers cove haven in Barrington r. i. As anchor yachts in that marina was major dealer for region. Another advantage is deep channel out.no waiting for tides.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful info. I will peruse Active Captain.

We would be flying in and out infrequently, and using the marina as a base for long cruises. The boat is a Valiant 42 and she wants to see the world. Starting in the Fall of 2015 the plan (fantasy?) is to start full-time cruising, so the RI location will probably be temporary...not that it isn't a wonderful place to sail and hang out. We spent a couple weeks last summer up there on our PSC 31 and loved it...Cuttyhunk, Block Island, Mystic. Stayed at Wickford Marina (not Brewers) and found it delightful. Came by sea so had no idea of land access....

Paul

Paul
Will you be looking for a yard that will let you work on your own boat? If you need a ride now and again from PVD to the yard, give me a shout.

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
....Bristol, however, is a long way from the airport......
You're right, I don't know what I was thinking when I tossed it in at the last minute. I don't usually go that way, so I was forgetting how much further north one would have to go to cross the bridge, just to come south again. 30 min trip. I edited my post.

Nevertheless, if 30 mins is reasonable, I stand by Bristol being a nice place to be. A little fetch in the harbor, however.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cannot recommend highly enough John Dickerson and his

Apponaug Harbor Marina
17 Arnold's Neck Dr.
Warwick, RI 02886
United States (US)
401-739-5005

Battering our way down the East Coast in late November, we stopped in here for a couple of days to visit family.

See if the Active Captain recommendations for yourself but if we were staying in Narragansett Bay, it's hard to see how this could be improved upon.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
problem with Bristol is getting diesel and gas. for someone going in and out may be better to think about airport access. Easy to get to Bristol by boat and great town. Wonderful experience to see the museum

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think the best location relative to the airport depends a lot on how "hands on" you plan to be with maintenance when you get to the boat.

I was definitely in the do-it-yourself camp when I did the "travel to the boat" thing for a couple of years. I found it super-annoying the few times I didn't have access to a rental car or my own truck for running errands. It bad enough to try to work on the boat when you're hundreds of miles from your own workshop, let alone not being able to make that last minute run to the chandlery!

For this reason, if I were in your topsiders, I'd be inclined to pick a boat yard in Apponaug or East Greenwich (the closest yards to PVD with good protection). That way you could rent a car at the airport and it's likely that the car rental folks would run you back down to your boat (10 minute drive from airport) for free when you're done with the rental.

If you locate your boat farther down the west side of Narragansett Bay (Wickford or Pt Judith), you'll be farther away from the rental car companies and the retail mecca (including a West Marine) that exists in Warwick, RI, near the airport.

Now, if the yard is doing the maintenance and you're planning to fly in, get to the boat, and cast off, then the Newport area has a lot of advantages. In that case, I'd take the shuttle bus from the airport direct to Newport and keep my boat at Newport Shipyard (in Newport proper) or New England Boatworks (in Portsmouth - 15 minute cab ride north from Newport center).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cannot recommend highly enough John Dickerson and his

Apponaug Harbor Marina
17 Arnold's Neck Dr.
Warwick, RI 02886
United States (US)
401-739-5005

Battering our way down the East Coast in late November, we stopped in here for a couple of days to visit family.

See if the Active Captain recommendations for yourself but if we were staying in Narragansett Bay, it's hard to see how this could be improved upon.
Ha! I had just found this marina on Active Captain, read the reviews and had already jotted it down as my first choice so far. It sounds very nice, and very close to the airport. I will give them a call.

DeltaT, thanks so much for the offer of a ride. I know that New Englanders are very friendly....my wife is from Somerville, MA and I went to school in Boston. We also have friends in Foster, RI but we don't want to impose on them for transportation.

Btw, do folks tend to haul their boats there in the winter or leave them in the water?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As for maintenance, I hope to get everything I need done in Annapolis before we leave.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts