SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning to sail our 43 Irwin Mark III to Florida and the Bahamas next fall. I've read a lot on sailnet forums on the icw and the Bahamas, but would like to here opinions on the best Route from Boston to the start of the ICW.
For those that have done this trip I would appreciate any advice. I am leaning towards being offshore as much as possible and safe. Thanks Jeff:D

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Birchy...heading south the prevailing winds/currents are generaly unfavorable so I would recommend sticking to the coast through LI sound to NYC and down the Jersey coast. If you have a decent forecast for a few days, you can head from Capemay off the Delmarva coast and put in to Norfolk. Otherwise...best head up the Delaware Bay and through the C&D canal to the Chesapeake and on to Norfolk.
You can make longer jumps offshore on the way back much easier. We had an Irwin 44 and have done this both ways. The alternate is from Block Island to Norfolk direct. I would rather do Norfolk to Block Island.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Birchy...heading south the prevailing winds/currents are generaly unfavorable so I would recommend sticking to the coast through LI sound to NYC and down the Jersey coast. If you have a decent forecast for a few days, you can head from Capemay off the Delmarva coast and put in to Norfolk. Otherwise...best head up the Delaware Bay and through the C&D canal to the Chesapeake and on to Norfolk.
You can make longer jumps offshore on the way back much easier. We had an Irwin 44 and have done this both ways. The alternate is from Block Island to Norfolk direct. I would rather do Norfolk to Block Island.
Agree!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts