SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone- I am new to the world of sailing. Im so glad I found this forum! Though I was a member last year of the Hudson River Community Sail organization based in NYC, I was only able to go sailing once. I am a newbie!

Since the pandemic, work has slowed to a creeping halt (I work for myself), work travel wont happen until September, and I now have the luxury of time. I am living at the Jersey Shore in Brigantine, and love being on the water.

It would be a great opportunity for me to help out a fellow sailor w labor in exchange for learning how sail.

I know this is a long shot but why not ask, right?

Its so lovely to walk the beach and see boats on the water again. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Decent offer... Spring prep is mostly past...

On the other hand I, for one, put off cosmetic work... not mission critical for sailing the boat... and something that can be done on the mooring, with or without wind.. as long as it's not raining. I am referring to things like:

compound and waxing gel coat
painting/ touch up of stripes
gel coat repairs
varnishing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the feedback. I am definitely open to doing whatever is needed. I think this is just as important as learning the sailing ropes....bad joke...I know..lol

You are based in Westchester? I live in NYC but happened to be at my family's beach house in NJ. If you dock in NY, perhaps I can help next year? If not, perhaps you may know people looking for an inexperienced deck hand eager to learn?

·
11,811 Posts
I lived in Ocean City , NJ for 18 years before moving to the Chesapeake 16 years ago.
I would suggest joining the Ocean city Yacht Club . They have a full program of sailing and crewing on 25s

I also kept my first Keelboat an Islander 28 on Barnegat Bay., where the are marinas in Forked River you could put posts up. The issue with NJ is most of the inlets are impassable / treacherous for sailboats.

Absecon Inlet next to you is a good inlet , Manesquan, Cape May and sometimes Barnegat are the only ones I would bring my sailboat out in the ocean. Barnegat Bay is the only back bay large enough to sail in.

There are a couple of posters on here from your area. Ottos, and Tempest ( north jersey) .

Welcome to sailing. I started learning just as you are. Good luck. Feel free to PM me Fter you have 10 posts.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. I am definitely open to doing whatever is needed. I think this is just as important as learning the sailing ropes....bad joke...I know..lol

You are based in Westchester? I live in NYC but happened to be at my family's beach house in NJ. If you dock in NY, perhaps I can help next year? If not, perhaps you may know people looking for an inexperienced deck hand eager to learn?
You're welcome to help work or learn to sail any season.

Winter boat is in water in Stamford.... 25 min Metro North
Summer in Old Lime, CT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're welcome to help work or learn to sail any season.

Winter boat is in water in Stamford.... 25 min Metro North
Summer in Old Lime, CT

Thats great to know. I will be back in the city in September for sure. My situation is up in the air. However, if most boat maintenance is done in the winter, I would love to help when and where I can.

Thank you everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts