SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I am an avid fisherman in the New Orleans area and I've loved sailboats as long as I can remember - just never owned one. I've been on the water aboard a small dingy a few times and knew I had to get more of it, but this and that and a girl and anyway I never did but now I can again.

I don't know anyone with a sailboat so I'm scheduling sailing lessons at the local yacht club looking to get ASA licensed. Really I would like to crew in the local Wednesday night races to have a great time and learn, but I don't want to show up knowing nobody and nothing.

Hope to meet and have a drink with all of you and some of you again.

Lawson.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Welcome to SailNet, Lawson! And, dang that girl for interrupting your dream. :)

Taking lessons where you want to offer yourself as crew is a great way to get invited. You're doing the right things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mention Weds nite, so I take it you've been to NO yacht club. Noyc.org
I have been to the website. I understand there are two clubs locally, SYC and NOYC. It seems like NOYC is more laid back and that's the club I'm more interested in joining, although I don't know anyone from either.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Lawson,

Now you do. :)

Both clubs are fantastic and we actually work pretty closely together. SYC is a much more professional club with a bunch of full time employees and world class sailors. NOYC is a much more laid back place with 1 full time employee and a few bartenders we also have a lot of world class sailors. But NOYC always wind the party.

Come on up Wednesday night about 6, there is a crewing table to help people just like you find rides, and a lot of skippers that are thrilled to take new sailors out for the evening.

By the end of the night unless you shoot or stab someone (and even then there's a chance) you will have the requisite two members willing to sponsor your membership.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Welcome to sailnet, take the lessons, hang out, find someone to let you crew, buy a boat, it's a great ride, enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts