SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new here but not to sailing. I started out with an ODay 25 which I promptly rebuilt for stem to stern, this was back in 1990. I sold the ODay and purchased a ragged out Hooks Marine Custom, only 12 built. I rebuilt her stem to stern including replacing ht Atomic Bomb with a Yanmar. Katrina put the Hooks in the middle of the parking lot of Souther Yacht Club in the middle of a stack of 150 boats or so. It took me 4 hours to find a 34 foot boat. The insurance company paid me out gave her back and then reinsured her, I have no clue why. I put her back in the water and she has been tied up at in a slip for 3 and half years. My wife and I are caught up on our home and other repairs. We are now putting Wandering Spirit Back in shape. I know many know more than me so I am here to share what I can and learn what I don't know which is a lot in spite of what my wife thinks.

Click here to see Wandering Spirit being lifted out of a stack of boats

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome to the party, mate. Awesome video. Can't believe they were able to pick up and refloat Wandering Spirit so smoothly from that mess!

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saildork, if you notice the crew is wearing jackets and hoods, this was almost 6 months after the storm. The boat was dead in the center of the pile and various salvage operators had been picking at the pile. You can imagine the different operators and insurance companies involved and how hard it was to make things happen. By the time this was done I had been paid out so I hired the crane and crew to do the work. Of course they did several boats while they were on site and had a very good day.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I am new here but not to sailing. I started out with an ODay 25 which I promptly rebuilt for stem to stern, this was back in 1990. I sold the ODay and purchased a ragged out Hooks Marine Custom, only 12 built. I rebuilt her stem to stern including replacing ht Atomic Bomb with a Yanmar. Katrina put the Hooks in the middle of the parking lot of Souther Yacht Club in the middle of a stack of 150 boats or so. It took me 4 hours to find a 34 foot boat. The insurance company paid me out gave her back and then reinsured her, I have no clue why. I put her back in the water and she has been tied up at in a slip for 3 and half years. My wife and I are caught up on our home and other repairs. We are now putting Wandering Spirit Back in shape. I know many know more than me so I am here to share what I can and learn what I don't know which is a lot in spite of what my wife thinks.

Click here to see Wandering Spirit being lifted out of a stack of boats
Welcome aboard.

- CD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts