SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to get it out! These new government mandated fuel spouts suck! Whether diesel or gas, it don't matter. Supposed to keep you from spilling fuel and keep kids safe. Well, kids don't drink gas out of 5 gallon cans, they drink it out of coke bottles. And, I've spilled more frigging gas since these pieces of poop were introduced. It is a real nightmare. They are next to impossible to use. I have a brand new gas can I bought before Matthew came and today I was trying to fill generator for storage and I was spilling it everywhere. The spout sticks -AArrrrgghhhhh! I did some research online and I see there are many who are of the same mind. Luckily some smart guys are making money by selling"pre 1999 only, replacement spouts". Can't buy them for a lot of states but... you can buy the "water can spout" which is the same damn thing but since it's sold as a water can spout you can get it instead of, does the same durn thing! I love America! We need less government, for sure. Do you think the guys who came up with that spout law ever poured any kind of fuel into a tank? I doubt it. Well, that's what I think, ladies and gentlemen. Kevin

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,192 Posts
I gotta agree. I've spilled more fuel with these damned spouts than with the old fashioned kind.

I keep my favorite 1 gallon gasoline container (for the 2-stroke outboard), that has a snap-lid vent AND a snap-lid spout in my spare propane locker.

·
Super Moderator
4,252 Posts
I use a little siphon pump, it's a bit slower but way easier and I don't spill a drop. They're only about $10. Depending what you are fueling they may not be ideal for all situations.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I am a big fan of jiggle syphons. They work very well and you don't spill.

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27

·
Registered
21,799 Posts
Had to be a lobbying initiative from the tank manufacturers to sell new tanks. :)

I keep a 1gal tank in the seat locker of my dinghy, as a reserve. Seriously comes in handy, especially when exploring.

I had the kind that required you twist the nozzle, while pouring. It's not working, so I twist harder and harder. Eventually, it breaks and pours gasoline all over the dinghy floor. POS! I then got the kind that has a trigger on the spout that you jam against the opening you are pouring into and press hard. It seriously feels like it will snap in half and spew fuel everywhere again. I can say I've successfully managed this one twice, without much spillage. More than zero, however. More than the old fashioned spouts.

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
The video in the one star Customer Review shows the cap being easily knocked off the threaded opening in the jug. Has this been fixed?

https://www.amazon.com/review/R23WPMRZFPJQ4R/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000W9P83S&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=2972638011&store=lawn-garden#wasThisHelpful and scroll up.
I don't know. I've had mine for 2 full seasons now, and it's never fallen off for me, nor does it seem precarious. It's the only way I ever fill my boat, since I can get offroad diesel by my house for way, way less than anything on the water, although I don't go through a ton of fuel.

·
Old enough to know better
4,343 Posts
I bought a cheap can at Job Lots that actually works fairly well. I have considered modifying the nozzle but have not bothered as it really does work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use gas cans designed for motocross. I like the one from pit posse. It has a lower handle that makes it more balanced when pouring. These can be found at Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
A stunning example of "government's" ultimate STUPIDITY

The weight of a filled 5 gallon fuel container is about 40-45 pounds.

Stick a flimsy (CARB-type) 'plastic' nozzle mounted onto any filled 5 gallon+ fuel container into any tank fill port and let go ..... and you now have a 'structure' similar to a 'cantilever'. Cantilevers 'magically' (at a maximum) MULTIPLY the (bending) stress of that 'nozzle' at that fill port interface by a factor of FOUR. 4 'times' 40-45 = 160 to 180 POUNDS of bending stress.
Show me any situation in the entire cosmos where one can 'hang' a 160 to 180 pound bending FORCE on a flimsy thin walled, CARB compliant, 'plastic' tube.

Apparently, those who absolute-mandated such nozzles on 5 gallon containers were not versed in the most primitive concepts of simple common sense ... beyond that which produces fictional based cheap 'romance novels', etc. !!!!!
Id offer that such 'government' mandates are well/far beyond grounds for severe class action lawsuits for damages, personal harm, etc. resulting from .... mandated ultimate STUPIDITY. :-o

POLL: Has anyone ever, NOT MADE A MESS, spilled fuel, etc. when attempting to 'directly' use a CARB-compliant nozzle attached to a 'fully filled' 5 gallon fuel container in 'any' common fuel fill port?

;-)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I too really hate those push-back nozzles; I've broken two of them and won't buy another. I do have a 2.5 gallon container that has a push-button nozzle; it's like one of those laundry detergent containers. Its a very robust design that actually works great for filling my outboard tank (opening on top of the tank), but would be useless for filling a car or any other use where the filling port is on the side or angled. I also have an old six gallon container that has an old-fashioned spout without any of this anti-spill nonsense.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And another thing! While filling the generator, that little tab doo dad that supposed to stay on the lip slipped and the spout went through the nice little screened fuel filter in the filling opening. Opened that up real nice. Probably cost 15 bucks to replace that. Punched the bottom right out and almost pushed it into the tank. I'll be getting something new or modifying spouts as necessary. I don't suppose a law like that could ever get repealed? Maybe the spout makers could step up and come up with something better. Doesn't look like they put much effort into the design. Kevin

·
Master Mariner
8,388 Posts
Add this one to the plus side of living "somewhere south of civilization". None of that 'nanny state' BS down here.
On the other hand, air freight on our replacement refrigeration compressor will be out of this world!
Still, haven't had to even THINK about playing hide and seek w/the USCG because we weren't carrying PFD's in an inflatable boat (w/4 air chambers) since leaving St. Thomas. Or an anchor, fire extinguisher or flares!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
A stunning example of "government's" ultimate STUPIDITY

The weight of a filled 5 gallon fuel container is about 40-45 pounds.

Stick a flimsy (CARB-type) 'plastic' nozzle mounted onto any filled 5 gallon+ fuel container into any tank fill port and let go ..... and you now have a 'structure' similar to a 'cantilever'. Cantilevers 'magically' (at a maximum) MULTIPLY the (bending) stress of that 'nozzle' at that fill port interface by a factor of FOUR. 4 'times' 40-45 = 160 to 180 POUNDS of bending stress.
Show me any situation in the entire cosmos where one can 'hang' a 160 to 180 pound bending FORCE on a flimsy thin walled, CARB compliant, 'plastic' tube.

Apparently, those who absolute-mandated such nozzles on 5 gallon containers were not versed in the most primitive concepts of simple common sense ... beyond that which produces fictional based cheap 'romance novels', etc. !!!!!
Id offer that such 'government' mandates are well/far beyond grounds for severe class action lawsuits for damages, personal harm, etc. resulting from .... mandated ultimate STUPIDITY. :-o

POLL: Has anyone ever, NOT MADE A MESS, spilled fuel, etc. when attempting to 'directly' use a CARB-compliant nozzle attached to a 'fully filled' 5 gallon fuel container in 'any' common fuel fill port?

;-)
I agree with all the complaints here. I rarely am able to fuel up the pressure washer, lawn vac, snowblower etc, with the nozzle that you have to push against the tank opening, without spilling. With the smaller tanks on the yard machines, you get a surge that overflows the tank opening--even when the tank has not been completely filled.

Whatever the intent of these CARB nozzles, the reality is that they are self-defeating IMHO.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts