SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
POLL: Has anyone ever, NOT MADE A MESS, spilled fuel, etc. when attempting to 'directly' use a CARB-compliant nozzle attached to a 'fully filled' 5 gallon fuel container in 'any' common fuel fill port?
Who would have thought that a nozzle would cause such a commotion.

I am currently on an undefeated streak of filling my boat from a deck fuel fitting with my CARB-compliant nozzle. I think I have slightly below-average coordination, but so far this has not been a huge challenge for me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Shaker siphon, no question. You'll never pour again. Even smooth under way in bumpy conditions.

Yeah, I can pour from a can... but why would I want to, if this is easier?

Sail Delmarva: Hate the New CARB Spounts on Jerry Cans?

·
Registered
547 Posts
The video in the one star Customer Review shows the cap being easily knocked off the threaded opening in the jug. Has this been fixed?

https://www.amazon.com/review/R23WPMRZFPJQ4R/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000W9P83S&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=2972638011&store=lawn-garden#wasThisHelpful and scroll up.
I own four of these (5 gal diesel, 5/2.5/1.25 gas) and have never had the cap knock off in use. My only complaint is that the diesel one takes a while to empty completely but that's a minor nit. They're the cleanest solution I've found. I own a shaker siphon but drips on the deck and fuel on the hands are inevitable when packing it up.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,648 Posts
i get around this issue by using a siphon hose and priming it by blowing into top of container to fill hose and make it work.
screw lifting the damned thing-- so spouts are irrelevant anyway.
these new ones also leak out in wind--i cover mine when sailing with well affixed baggie so as not to get diesel in my face while sailing. oops

·
Freedom isn't free
2,971 Posts
Ok, sounds like for once we all unanimously hate these new CARB gas cans.. Count me in.

Our local True Value has stocked a large supply of "replacement spouts for older style gas cans" surprisingly they fit nicely on the "NEW" gas cans. HMMMM.

For filling my 6 gallon fuel tank, I have (2) old style spouts, and plastic jugs with the vents, in 2 gallon (ish) size. Works great.

My 5 gallon diesel cans, and gas cans are the CARB ones and they are the worst.

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
Along these lines, I have a boot that's just full to the brim with urine, and I can't figure out how to get it out of there. Does anyone know where I can locate a manual of some sort?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
My recollection is that lobbying had little to do with it. CARB (California Air Resources Board), the Southern California clear air authority, has to meet steadily increasing air quality standards. Each year they have to find a few pounds of pollution they can cut. Some one had the bright idea that they could cut fueling emissions on cans by using vapor recovery. They multiplied the number of gallons sold in portable containers by the theoretical transfer loss, assuming 100% compliance and no spills, and gave themselves a pat on the back. Other states, under similar pressures, followed suit, once the cans were available. It seemed like a freebe, since cans would be replaced through retirment.

CARB outlined mineral spirit parts cleaners some years ago. They did a complicated calculation based on the number of units and all of the ways solvent could evaporate, which was dumb since the companies that service the units know exactly what the losses are (they fill them with a meter and then measure how much comes back at the end of the service period). With their exaggerated number they made everyone switch to soap and water, which only sort of works and the replacement machines are far more expensive. Emissions went up, because the shops started being more spray carb cleaner! I would also bet more parts were replaced rather than repaired. Fortunately, most states took a more reasoned approach and only restricted the available solvents choices, which was a better compromise; they don't clean as well, but there is also less odor in the shop, which the mechanics like.

The air is a lot better than when I was a lad, but there are costs and there have been mistakes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hello All, 10 month update on the spout rant. Picked up one of those Shaker Siphons at Bass Pro, 10 bucks. Wow! was that nice, first time using that. Just sat there, humming while the diesel siphoned in the tank. That was such a pleasurable experience. Practiced stopping the flow by crimping the tube with my fingers. Sweet. Then I got a little anxious about what to do with the siphon damp with diesel. Just put it in a zippy bag and stored with my oil filter changing gear. No sweat. A good product for a great price. Thanks to whoever recommended that little doo dad. Kevin

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can buy replacement spout kits that are *ahem*, "only" for old cans or water cans that replace the CARB compliant ones. They come with multiple collar nuts and an add-on vent for various manufacturers, that for some reason will even fit on the latest CARB cans...with the understanding they will only be used for water. :grin

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
While we are at it....how about the new "ventless" outboard motor tanks that puff out like the Pillbury Doughboy when hot and have about a gazillion warning labels.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well, since I am not an anti-environmentalist and I don't fear change, I find the CARB-compliant gas spouts that I bought at Walmart to work easily and perfectly well. Progress is inevitable. Life is easier for those who embrace progress instead of resisting it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, since I am not an anti-environmentalist and I don't fear change, I find that the CARB-compliant gas spouts that I bought at Walmart to work easily and perfectly well. Progress is inevitable. Life is easier when for those who embrace progress instead of resisting it.
Oh boy, here we go again. And the ocean will rise over your head before you need to use your swell gas cans....
For the rest of us that realize these things are crap, pushed on us by lobby crumbs paid for by the manufacturers padding tbe legislators pockets....back to Utube and screw 'em.
New propane rules - same thing. They spout more into atmosphere now when being filled than ever before. But some clever people preying on guys like this sold the govt. a bill of goods and a hell of a lot of new bottles, at our expense.
Rant off, flame on "believers"......:grin

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Oh boy, here we go again. And the ocean will rise over your head before you need to use your swell gas cans....
For the rest of us that realize these things are crap, pushed on us by lobby crumbs paid for by the manufacturers padding tbe legislators pockets....back to Utube and screw 'em.
New propane rules - same thing. They spout more into atmosphere now when being filled than ever before. But some clever people preying on guys like this sold the govt. a bill of goods and a hell of a lot of new bottles, at our expense.
Rant off, flame on "believers"......:grin
Mine work perfectly fine. Maybe you need so help 😄😄😄😄🙏🙏🙏🙏

21 - 40 of 93 Posts