SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
22,096 Posts
Definitely one of the whiniest threads ever.
Politics from some, name calling from others. Yes, near worst thread ever.

Anyone care to produce the science around these new spouts, which should support whichever position one likes to take? Hard to find, isn't it.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Sanctimony..love it

Only reason I have ever hear during its development is what I have read on the internet
Having to do with vapors in the atmosphere from the open vents. Frankly that didn't make sense

I saw nothing about safety or spills

·
Registered
332 Posts
the issue with the work around of using the old spouts on the new container is no vent to allow back pressure with the "new" cans sans vents.
The replacement "for water only" spout kits come with said vent that you snap in after drilling a hole for it.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
snokid-
Beware of using water containers for gasoline. Yes, they work. I know a charter skipper who was tickled pink when I found him some 15-gallon "water" tanks to carry extra fuel, free.
But water tanks, gasoline tanks, diesel tanks, are all made from different plastics. The water tanks should be food safe, but they won't withstand the solvents in gasoline. They'll harden and crack way faster than gasoline cans. Similar problems with diesel, the plastic is specifically designed to resist the fuel.
Gasoline, btw, is a witches brew of some 60 components including butane, heptane, other gasses and high end solvents, not just the naphtha base. In a pinch, sure, anything will do. But in the long term? You want a real gasoline can from a manufacturer who does't just "make 'em red" for that. A crack in an aging gasoline can can really ruin your day.

·
Registered
22,096 Posts
No I haven't. Got a link? Not too lazy to look, my internet here is dead slow.
Nope. That's my point. Doesn't seem anyone supporting the need for these cans has either.

I'm always amazed by how many people are willing to be lemmings and not understand the issues from the facts.

Maybe the facts are, in fact, compelling. I've never heard them. Until then, I remain suspicious based on my own experience and observation.

Reactions: dixiedawg

·
Registered
263 Posts
snokid-
Beware of using water containers for gasoline. Yes, they work. I know a charter skipper who was tickled pink when I found him some 15-gallon "water" tanks to carry extra fuel, free.
But water tanks, gasoline tanks, diesel tanks, are all made from different plastics. The water tanks should be food safe, but they won't withstand the solvents in gasoline. They'll harden and crack way faster than gasoline cans. Similar problems with diesel, the plastic is specifically designed to resist the fuel.
Gasoline, btw, is a witches brew of some 60 components including butane, heptane, other gasses and high end solvents, not just the naphtha base. In a pinch, sure, anything will do. But in the long term? You want a real gasoline can from a manufacturer who does't just "make 'em red" for that. A crack in an aging gasoline can can really ruin your day.
might be true but mine have been going strong for years....

Bob

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have no proof but I would be willing to bet that the new spout ruling was generated by some bureaucrat in the EPA. I remember the first time I was in El Paso Texas they had boots on the gas pump nozzles to capture the gasoline vapors that were vented from the tank as it was filled in order to reduce the haze in the local atmosphere that drifted over from across from the border.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I solved the problem with a neat, little portable gas pump that I purchased on Ebay for about $10 several years ago. Still works like a charm. Those new spouts really do SUCK! :eek:

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Now the government enters it? Please give me a break . Every answer to everything can not be a political statement

Maybe if you spent the money listened to others recommendations and bought a quality bottom paint you wouldn't have the issue.
Actually I do buy and use a quality bottom paint, at least its as good a quality that can be had now days, but its certainly a pale imitation of what we used in former days, all due to a federal bureaucracy that ignores common sense and elevates stupidity to an entirely new heights. Which is exactly what this piece is about is it not? So now tell me, exactly how does your sanctimonious blather fit in?

·
Land lubber
1,421 Posts
Excuse me?? Your post #53 said

"Maybe you could list a few examples of how the government doesn't intrude on our lives?"

My post (#54) as well as Chef's were in direct response to that, asking you keep your comments on topic (meaning gear and maintenance), rather than the intrusion of government into our lives which is what you are talking about in your post.
Both of your comments had nothing to do with gear review.

Read between the lines. I was telling you to stick your 'gear' where the sun doesn't shine.... like under a bimini top. Is sunbrella the best material?

Is that a gear topic?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
snokid-
Sceptre's web site seems to just say they area ll "polyethylene". They could just as easily say "plastic" or "wood" because it ain't all the same. I have seen other makers (no, I don't keep the info around) that specifically say they use one FDA-approved plastic for their water bottles, and another formula each for gasoline and diesel. Which has to drive up prices, versus buying one grade of pellet for all three molds.
So unless you've got something more specific from Spectre about what compositions they are using? (Heck, maybe they've just got one blend that is SO good, and so expensive, that it does do it all.)

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
When I bough the Scepter cans a few years ago ( directly from Scepter :) ) I was told by them that materials for gas and water cans are same.

difference in water and fuel cans - Expedition Portal
Of course they are, other than the color.
Most people know this.

There are different types/grades made...'regular' and some are thicker. Do a search.

If you plan to store them on-deck, go the thick wall route and also use a cover. The very thin wall 'drinking water' camp containers (usually blue in color or clear)will not last very long in UVs...like less than a season in full UV.

Trim the plastic tails at the threads before screwing on the connections.

Just follow the money....

If you are prone to spill in some situation, just grab a rag to help. Basic cave man stuff....

61 - 80 of 93 Posts