SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took on a major project. Bought a boat after it sustained fire damage from a neighboring boat. Fortunately my dad has a body shop and couple guys that have worked with fiberglass before. They're just about finished with that stage. Which means I'm ready to start planning for a new layer of gel coat.

My primary concern is the product I am going to use. I came across this company (fiberglasssupply.com) that has 5 gallons of gel coat for $250! I've paid more than double that for a quart in the past for small repairs to previous boats. Naturally I'm attracted to the price but suspect of the product at the same time.

Any one out there know a thing or two about gel coats that can explain what I should watch out for when choosing a product?

I read an article about waxed vs unwaxed and when to use which. Is this an additive the seller should offer? Also, what is the best primer to use? Can a add a color additive if I want to shoot for an off white color?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Did you use epoxy in the repair? if so you will need to undercoat with Duratec first and use the light gray or white . then you can shoot the gelcoat over the duatec and it will adhere to the epoxy. if only polyester was used, just shoot the gelcoat on a 80 grit surface , no smoother than 80 it needs tooth to adhere. you can buy the gelcoat with the wax added and it can be color mixed. the wax is to keep the CO2 off the gelcoat so it will harden on the surface, you can use it with no wax and over coat with PVA right after you shoot the gelcoat. Fiberglast.com is a good source for product and info. there are cheap gelcoats but they will crack easier. Happy wet sanding.

·
Barquito
3,735 Posts
I would paint rather than gel coat. Gel coat may last a little longer, if done right. But, takes a lot longer to apply (so I'm told).

BTW, just to be a nerd, the picture is of your deck. The top-sides are the side of the boat.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I have done both and will always use gelcoat if given the choice. the thing that makes gelcoat easier is that you just fill, sand to 80 grit and shoot. no primmer and perfect surface prepping like painting. easier to shoot and does not need to go on perfect because you will wet sand and polish to get it smooth. much easier to do outside then paint. it can be patched. and will last a lot longer

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I've done both and think the time and effort is about the same. While gelcoat requires little preparation, it requires a lot of post application work. Conversely, paint requires no post application work, but a lot of preparation.

I have had good luck applying gelcoat over epoxy just by making sure all blush is removed and the epoxy toothed well.

Gelcoat and resins get much less expensive when bought in quantities. If you think 5gal is a good price, look at drum prices. Small containers are always expensive.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts