SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the newest generation of anchors, it uses water for ballast. The companies independent testing show incredible results. Because its a new design I ordered it oversized but who cares cause I can drain it and it weighs almost nothing. It was super pricey but they gave me a new inflatable spinnaker pole to test for them so I'm all in. I will report a full anchor review after I've used it one time. If you don't have this anchor and want to feel safe just in case 100 mph winds ravage through your anchorage at night you simply must get this anchor.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just ordered the newest generation of anchors, it uses water for ballast. The companies independent testing show incredible results. Because its a new design I ordered it oversized but who cares cause I can drain it and it weighs almost nothing. It was super pricey but they gave me a new inflatable spinnaker pole to test for them so I'm all in. I will report a full anchor review after I've used it one time. If you don't have this anchor and want to feel safe just in case 100 mph winds ravage through your anchorage at night you simply must get this anchor.
Barefoot,
You are still at mortal risk. 100 mph only protects against category I Hurricanes. To be safe, you should order a second anchor and deploy both at all times. You might then gain protection for cat III Hurricanes. Anything less is just foolhardy.
Respectfully,
Jim

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Oh yes, great. I've been using the WB anchor for a number of years now and just love it.
The other thing I like is the stretchable standing rigging I have. In a strong wind, the mast just bends as the rigging stretches while the boat stays nearly perfectly level.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Please tell me you aren't using that equipment on a production boat.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I dunno, the Hydro-Bubble would still seem to be a far superior choice...

:)

What makes the HydroBubble® anchor work better and more reliably than other anchors?

The unique buoyancy tank is what makes this anchor really work! The anchor MUST land upright, ready-to-set EVERY time it is launched. The physics of the design mandate that it CAN'T do anything else but set immediately!

The Anchor Concepts factory in North Carolina suspended production the week of February 4, 2008.

We have had many phone calls and emails asking about the HydroBubble®, but only one message from the owner. It's possible that HydroBubble® anchors will resume production under new ownership but there has been no other news and we are now sold out of all regular product.

Azure Marine Home Page

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Then you can station your inflatable crew on either the guy, or the sheet.

uh, wait, that didn't come out just right....

·
Registered
182 Posts
I tried anchoring a 14 foot john boat with a sand filled 2 1/2 gallon gas jug and it didn't hold with a 5:1 scope in a small irrigation reservoir when I got a decent size catfish on the line. If the wind had come up, it would have been water ski city.

No water ballasted anchors need apply and no sand ballasted ones either!

Have FUN!
O'

·
bell ringer
6,187 Posts
If you had taken the time to read the small print you would have noticed that the WB anchor only works with a WB boat. For the guarantee you first fully fill the WB boat, then deploy the anchor

·
Master Mariner
9,418 Posts
Perhaps you can use it as a spare water tank.

Reactions: barefootnavigator

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You young people are all alike. Never learn from the past. Just ready to sail off without proper training, dreaming of crossing oceans in $100 boats that you restore for $10 additional in parts, never getting jobs, texting away, facebookin, ...

Back in the 60's when we weren't in protest marches, we all slept on water beds. In emergencies, we'd sleep on the cabin sole and deploy them overboard. Of course, the bell bottom pants were also helpful in a blow. The windage is down low where it does little harm, not placing extra load on your water bed anchor.

Man, and you young people probably thought you invented the water ballasted anchor......

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I think the Gregorski Bros. back in the late 80's early 90's invented the water ballast anchor, the inflatable spinnaker / wisker pole I think they also had a helium filled aerosail (for light air sailing)

Reactions: westsailpatti

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
That's old technology ,an adaptation of my '70's prawn trap puller/anchor retriever. Simple and foolproof, a CO2 cylinder from a self inflating life jacket, triggered by a digital sonar code thru the transducer , filled the bladder and lifted the works .Max was 300 kilos from 100 meters so allowed for over sized storm anchors and/or a string of traps.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
This wouldn't be from the same outfit that was marketing infinite shelf-life packets of dehydrated drinking water, would it?

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.