SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Names Jon Wright. I just pulled home a 71 Flying Junior. They guy said it "had everything" i am quickly realizing that is not the case. I am missing a boom vang and something to attach the forestay to the bow. I am trying to figure out how to get this thing rigged correctly so i can get out and sail it when the weather gets nicer. I am very new to sailing still and have a lot to learn. But I am looking forward to taking the wife and kid out. Anyway, i am a lot more used to old cars and motorcycles. I have a cool old 74 MGB GT and a 72 CB350 honda motorcycle. Anyway, i am sure i will be buggin you guys with questions here soon.
Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THanks for the video, i have seen that a number of times. it is helpful for a lot of stuff but my biggest concern was getting the mast up and attaching the shrouds. The side stays have the little pins and attach quite easily. i was concerned at first about the mast as there is no hardware of any kind to attach it, it just sits in the little channel and can slide forward and aft but i saw once i put some tension on the forestay it seemed to hold pretty steady. somebody said that where you position the mast depends on wind conditions. anybody want to elaborate on that for me? there is a carabiner on the bow that looks like the guy might have been using that to attach the forestay, but that does not seem like the best thing to use, i am not sure what kind of shackle i would need but i will keep looking around. pictures will follow soon. to show you all what i am talking about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply. IT looks like i found what parts I need. i really wish i could find a cheaper boom vang than 73 bucks. as for the adjustable forestay thingy i found one for like 7 bucks. I am obvioulsy looking for budget sailing. Having spent 400 on the boat and trailer I dont want to spend more than another 100 bucks on this that way if this boat really does not work out for me I should be able to sell it and get my money back. (hopefully) and try to find something better for the wife and kids. i really appreciate all the help guys. i think i have ten posts now, ill try and post some pictures

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well got my 10 posts in so here are the pictures as promised here is the bow plate with 2 holes. one has the carabiner in it the other is where i expect to put an adjustable forestay thingy.

this is my side stays

here is the mast channnel, surprising that that is deep enough/sturdy enough to keep the mast in the right spot

here is the boat sitting outside before i pulled it home

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might want to reconsider painting that interior. That looks like gelcoat, not paint. Once you start painting, you're going down a rabbit hole. Buffing and cleaning the gelcoat is the better approach.

Also that clip looks like it would be for the winch, not for the forestay. I believe something like this might be more appropriate: New Stainless Steel 316 Bow shackle 3/16"
My initial plan was to buff the blue gelcoat and leave it, but when I pulled it home and took a closer look I saw the gelcoat had worn off compleatly in a few spots, there are a couple of bare fiberglass spots on the deck and interior. I was actually going to ask what I should do to that so the strands wouldnt show through the paint. as for paint, i think a bright yellow would have been too much, but i was thinking more of a pale yellow. not sure where i am going to find a pale yellow paint that will be tough enough for a boat deck so if you have any advice im open to hearing about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.