SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello been looking around for a awhile. Have a couple of questions. I'm getting ready to retire for the fire department soon. The wife and I are wanting to retire south. Sailing has always been a dream of mine. I have a lot of blue water sailing in the Coast Guard also I have been in the Auxiliary for a while now. I have sign up for some sailing courses here in Indy at a local reservoir. Is the knowledge I receive going to prepare me for the bigger boats. We really like the Catamarans is a sail boat a sail boat. I know dumb question but don't bash me to hard. Thanks ART

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
The basics of sailing are the same regardless of the type of boat. You'll certainly learn more about sailing by learning in something small, bigger boats just don't react in the same way or with such obvious cause/effects. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Ditto what Paulinvictoria said. The small boats are a great way to build a good foundation. But as you move up there will be more to learn. Actually, IMO with sailing there is always more to learn. But that is what I love about this sport/activity! Welcome to Sailnet!

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
Hi Art. Welcome to SailNet.

I too, am currently in the CGAUX and my SO was in the regular Coast Guard on the Alert. Even though he patrolled between Cape May and the Caribbean for years the experience didn't help when it came to actually sailing a sailboat. His time was spent in the engine room so navigation, sailing, even tying knots that sailors typically use was not something he had to know. On the other hand, he was an EM so our engine runs like a top and he can deal with the electrical system. I would say that depending on your job some of your CG skills will transfer but maybe not as much as you hope.

Catamarans handle a little differently than monohulls, but you'll learn that after you've had your on-water lessons.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
The only times things get really different with cats is on the very high performance ones with daggerboards and ' coffin corners ' on the sailing envelope.

A regular cruising cat is just about the same as a monohull with the benefit fo easier handling under power assuming two engines. I mean they let right numpties charter them.

It might be useful to know what sort of thing you are looking at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts