SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started working on the hatches for Oh Joy. I picked up a 9'X14"X1-1/4" board of Honduran Mahogany, pricey stuff. This is the forward hatch I'm working on. The hatch a PO had built wasn't built of mahogany and was 5/8" thick as well as the frame not being jointed, just butt glued so it broke one day when I sat my 225 #'s on it to work on something.

This is the frame (I haven't cut the bottom curve of the athwartships frames yet) after roughing it in.

Joint

Another view

Partial mock up

I'm quickly relearning forgotten tricks learned long ago as a cabinetmaker and was surprised at what skills I actually retained. It's been a loooong time.

Thankfully, Stillraining (Scott) has seen fit to allow me the use of his Mancave for woodworking whenever I need it.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Ok, when I saw the shop my heart started racing. What a great workshop! How are you planning on holding the lap joints together? Nice work, btw.

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glue and bronze screws up from the bottom. I'll attach the top planks with glue and countersunk bronze screws covered by bungs and will run a string along the outer plank into the side frame. These components are a full inch thick so this hatch oughta hold up better than that flimsy junk it's replacing.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Oh man, that workshop brought a tear to my eye. And a ShopSmith!!! You lucky bastard.

Dude, trust me, there's no joint in the world that will stand up to your fat a*. Heh-heh!

You're doing great work Charlie. Thanks for sharing the progress. However, it makes my Princess stove refurb look a little lame.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Hey, the shop and the machines are ok, but show us the boat, Oh Joy! It must be turning out nice with the workwork. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Nice work Charlie. I'm staggered by the amount of kit Scott has in his shed...;) and here's me thinking all he had was a shovel and a pickaxe....:), oh yes and cherry picker.....literally....:cool:

As someone who is something of a clutz (sp ?) when it comes to woodwork but who once made a living designing furniture I am in awe of fine joinery.

Modern adhesives have to some extent rendered some of the old skills redundant I guess but it's still nice to see a bit of craftsmanship.

Salute to you.

Andrew

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah Smack, a Shopsmith and all Scott uses it for is a lathe. I always wanted one too...

I2F Scott is being a good boy and continuing to scrape up jobs.

Andrew, I wouldn't call myself a craftsman yet old boy..., not even close. I am working on it though. BTW, I could fit Oh Joy in half of that shed.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Last I heard there already were 2 little Smacklets running around. Perhaps you might reconsider.

I'll keep the nut, thanks MP.
I'm still using it, pal!!
Keep up the good work Charlie. Gotta love that work space.

Andrew, I usually spell it with a 'K' as in klutz but I bet everyone knew what you meant. 'C' is kind of a weird letter for some foreign speakers to handle; especially when it is pronounced like an ess as in Celine Dion (yuck). My name uses the more common hard 'k' sound. Latinos seem to have the most trouble with my name so I have another name I use when in the Latino world: Senor Tomas. They get that right away and Thomas is my middle name, as in 'doubting Thomas'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts