SailNet Community banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I would be very cautious about connecting pressurized water to a manual head.
Fresh water is definitely preferable to salt for rinsing a marine head, but the head must be set up for an inlet pressure of 30# or more, which I would doubt your $150.00 head is.
For sure! I had contimplated teeing off the supply line to the water pump (directly from the tank), but am not for reasons already discusssed.

· Crealock 37
676 Posts
Reaction score
The OPs problem could get worse. Our Groco was "returning" stool to the bowl during flushing….not good.

If we're going to be away from the boat for a few days we pump the bowl dry then refill with fresh water pumping a couple gallons through to "rinse" the system. We have no foul odor in the head.

· Registered
13,619 Posts
Reaction score
Dave, have you looked inside a toilet tank in a home toilet? Are you familiar with the fill valve?

Forget the old ones with the big bulb on a stick, they're obsolete. The new ones use a circular float that comes up around the fill tube, and the whole assembly (tube & valve) is about five bucks. That's all you need for a proper and legal "sanitary break" on a fill.

If you look it over...it allows water to enter and fill, with or without a tank, and it is physically impossible for the water supply to be contaminated with "toilet water". Which, by the way, is also perfectly potable in a toilet TANK, as opposed to the bowl. So you've got a $5 part that has all the fancy engineering done. Just needs a hose and optional cut-off valve to supply it. And not just one, but TWO up-to-code sanitary breaks protecting your water supply.

If your holding tank is located above or equal to your fresh water tanks...that's a bigger threat than plumbing fresh water into your head.(G)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.