SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find a new ignition switch for a Universal 5416? I found this site:
Universal 300671 Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

But they don't ship to New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

Just an FYI: if you have funky electrical problems when starting the boat, especially on an older boat, check the ignition switch first. We spent 5 hours yesterday debugging the starter circuit just to find out it is probably the switch.

·
2,449 Posts
Where can I find a new ignition switch for a Universal 5416? I found this site:
Universal 300671 Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

But they don't ship to New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

Just an FYI: if you have funky electrical problems when starting the boat, especially on an older boat, check the ignition switch first. We spent 5 hours yesterday debugging the starter circuit just to find out it is probably the switch.
Hey Jim, Silver Cloud is the local Universal dealer. Dave usually stocks common items like this or can get them in 48 hours.

To compare prices check out the switch from CatalinaDirect.

You might also want to look at this page on MaineSail's web site. The 80's Universal's had some issues with the wiring harness.

Hope all is well with you, too much work this year, so far zero sailing days :(

Reactions: JimsCAL

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Jim! Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear that you haven't been out on Island Time. Hopefully that means that work is going well and keeping you busy. It's the "right" kind of problem to have!

As for me, work has been busy, we've had lots of other commitments, and the "inlet" to Lanoka Harbor is silted over so bad that my 3'10" couldn't get out earlier this season. Went down yesterday and thanks to the chop, we BARELY made it out. So, I am thinking that this may wind up being a lost season. I won't go back to Silver Cloud, but won't stay here, either. So, I need to find a place to winter.

In the mean time, I've been talking to NJDMV and NJDEP about getting the inlet dredged. They have been very nice about it. Apparently Ocean County can't decide where to put the dredging spoils, and that's the only thing holding up the work. So, until that happens, I'm kind of trapped in the marina.

Anyway...regarding the ignition switch, thanks for the leads. I saw that wiring harness when I was in there and thought it looked pretty sad. Guess I'll have to add that to my list of projects! At least it's just rewiring and crimping. Seems like it's time to buy a new crimper (following Maine Sail's advice).

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barquito, thanks for those links. It SHOULD be possible; it's a fairly simple switch. There's the "accessory" position which enables the glow plugs, etc., then there's the "START" which is a momentary switch. It's pretty simple, really. But I figured this particular switch lasted almost 40 years, so why not replace it with the same thing.

·
2,449 Posts
Jim! Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear that you haven't been out on Island Time. Hopefully that means that work is going well and keeping you busy. It's the "right" kind of problem to have!
Jim, I'm not complaining. Better to be working but I can count on one hand the number of days off this year...

As for me, work has been busy, we've had lots of other commitments, and the "inlet" to Lanoka Harbor is silted over so bad that my 3'10" couldn't get out earlier this season. Went down yesterday and thanks to the chop, we BARELY made it out. So, I am thinking that this may wind up being a lost season. I won't go back to Silver Cloud, but won't stay here, either. So, I need to find a place to winter.
I wish I could give you an opinion on Ted's but other than tying my boat into the slip I haven't been there ! :laugher

In the mean time, I've been talking to NJDMV and NJDEP about getting the inlet dredged. They have been very nice about it. Apparently Ocean County can't decide where to put the dredging spoils, and that's the only thing holding up the work. So, until that happens, I'm kind of trapped in the marina.
That sucks. Is there any level of government that actually works anymore?

Anyway...regarding the ignition switch, thanks for the leads. I saw that wiring harness when I was in there and thought it looked pretty sad. Guess I'll have to add that to my list of projects! At least it's just rewiring and crimping. Seems like it's time to buy a new crimper (following Maine Sail's advice).
Check out Catalina Direct and Univeral. There's a replacement wiring harness and if I remember right it's under $100. So the upgrade shouldn't be too bad.

Take a look at the c34.org tech wiki. I seem to remember there's information there on installing the upgraded harness. If I'm remembering correctly this affected several Universal marine engine models.

Best of luck,
Jim

Reactions: jimgo

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Oh Jim.. you forgot? I replaced the switch on mine last year even though I did the panel rewire a few weeks ago.
Cole Hearse simple 3 terminal on for Acc and Momentary for starter. Starter wire is yellow with red tracer.

Old,

new

And all you guys going to yell "wire nuts" shut up LOL
here's the panel with ALL new guages and wiring
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/139490-amega-gauge.html

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Jim, now is a good time to look at the harness. The heavy wire for the glow plugs does not have a relay I did not take it through the switch. in the harness you will find a blue and black and red.. I'll betcha the insulation is melded and they are ready to short or burn.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm already planning on removing/bypassing the ammeter. I don't really need a voltmeter (I don't think) on this panel. So, I'll probably leave the ammeter in there but it won't be connected to anything.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Nice thing... gauges aren't all that expensive Jim. Good luck! (I'd wait until winter)

·
Registered
830 Posts
OK; but is the "acc" term on the C/H switches a momentary contact *without* being on in the run posit?
Run-of-the-mill auto switches have the "acc" tied into constant on in "run" posit. Hate like the dickens to have plugs on whilerunning!
Havva helluvva time 'splaining that to (even) Kubota dealers when trying to source a new sw..

·
Registered
830 Posts
Is the acc./heater MC pole tied into therun side on C/H switch? Hate ta have my plugs lit while running!

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Del, this help any? I know many setups have the glow coils on the switch.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My glow plugs are separate from the ignition switch (sort of). The ignition switch has to be in the "run" or "accessory" position for the glow plug switch to work. The glow plug switch is a separate, momentary contact switch. You engage the switch (in my case, pull up on the switch) for 30 seconds or so, then let go and turn the key. I'm pretty sure that's basically what Denise's picture shows.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
If you look closely Jim you can see the glow coil wire (yellow with fuse.) does not come off the key switch.. I thought about and saw no reason for all that power to go through the switch. I gave it allot of thought also and don't see how anything can go wrong if anyone would press the glow coil button and not start the engine. Could the glow coils stay on? it's just as possible through a key switch with contacts "welding" It's all been working perfectly too.

all information i found says any engine with more than 2 glow coils says, use a relay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts