SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,667 Posts
welcome aboard!

Well you are in Maine! (where I want to be)
Go for the 30 ft or larger, you know that's what you ultimately will want! Anyhow don't waste money on something smaller if it's going to lead you into something bigger. You can learn to sail on a big boat just as easily maybe easier, than learning on a small boat, if I'm wrong my apologies, but my 30 foot Oday was too small for me after almost 10 years and I single handed almost all the time, not being able to count on friends and family who always thought they were on a carnival ride didn't even bring a bottle of water 🤣

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,667 Posts
It is of course your decision but I never considered a smaller boat until everybody started telling me get a small boat first which I did and that was 3 to $4,000 I could use for the larger boat I did eventually buy 11 months later my ODay 30, was great single-handed and it was pretty cool "showing off" as people called it but once you learn how to sail it's not hard to sail up on a mooring dock or slip! And every time somebody buys a boat, they always come with the 5-ft-itis clause lol meaning as soon as you get it you should have bought something bigger!

Reactions: rgouette
1 - 2 of 2 Posts