SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you were going to scrap all the electronics on your boat. Wind, depth, speed, GPS, radar etc. and start completely from scratch.

Trying to keep to a reasonable budget but also trying to maximize functionailty and durability, what would you purchase? What would you skip?

This is for a vessel that will be going on a long term cruise along the Gulf Coast, the East coast and the Carribean. Here's your chance to play Mr. Peabody to an eager audience...
Thanks!

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
I'd go with Garmin for the Radar and GPS, as they've got some of the best gear out there IMHO.

For wind, depth, and speed, you could go with any number of companies, but I happen to like the TackTick gear for versatility and ease of installation. :) No running wires up the mast. :)

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Depends on what your budget is. The Garmin 3205/3206 and the GMR 18HD are probably the best bang for the buck for Radar/GPS chartplotter. While the 3205/3206 are a bit small in terms of screen size, you could always upgrade later. :) Also, a lot of people like the interface on the 32xx series better than that of the newer models.

The GMR 18 and GMR 18HD are about $200 difference in price, and it is well worth getting the 18HD for the price difference, since it presents a much clearer radar image with fewer false returns.

While, the 3205/3206 are older units and about to be discontinued, they are a very good buy for that reason, and have all of the features you'd want in a new chartplotter. :) TigerGPS has the 3205 at a very good price, $699. They also come pre-loaded with the Garmin BlueCharts for US coastal waters.. :)

As for instruments, I like the TackTick T104 set, which comes with wind, speed, depth and temperature, as well as a NMEA interface for the Tacktick gear to talk to your autopilot and such. The TackTick gear requires far less wiring, since the wind transducer and the displays are wireless. The wind display can be used in normal mode (shows 360˚) and close hauled mode where it only shows ±60˚, which is usually a second display from most other manufacturers. :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'd go with Garmin for the Radar and GPS, as they've got some of the best gear out there IMHO.

For wind, depth, and speed, you could go with any number of companies, but I happen to like the TackTick gear for versatility and ease of installation. :) No running wires up the mast. :)

My perfect dream setup...you sir get a "cookie"

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,208 Posts
Dog,

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Tack Tick T104. I have an older Autohelm...do you know of they will work/tlak together? (Unfortunately I have no info on the auto helm from the PO)

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
IF it has NMEA 0183 input/output... yes, it will work. I have my TackTick setup connected to my Garmin GPS and my Raymarine ST1000 tiller pilot. :D
Dog,

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Tack Tick T104. I have an older Autohelm...do you know of they will work/tlak together? (Unfortunately I have no info on the auto helm from the PO)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great post as I have the same question. Glad to see positive on the Tack Tick
not surprised to hear positive about Garmin...but surprise to NOT hear a thing about Raymarine stuff I was leaning towards the E120 display..any feedback?

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
I had the Raymarine gear on my boat and replaced it because the wind instrument kept acting flaky... mainly due to wiring issues... However, I use the C80 gear on s/v Felix, which I sail on frequently, and like it.
Great post as I have the same question. Glad to see positive on the Tack Tick
not surprised to hear positive about Garmin...but surprise to NOT hear a thing about Raymarine stuff I was leaning towards the E120 display..any feedback?

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
It all depends on where you are planning to go. Different plotters use different cartography, and different cartography manufacturers have different strengths in different regions. cMap and Garmin will be the best for the Bahamas since they integrate the Explorer charts. Navionics may be better for Euro and other regions. Just check out the maps first and then pick the unit that uses the maps you like the most. With regards to the rest of the instrumentation, I would focus on NMEA 2000 compatible devices. You'll be able to use different manufacturers sensors and instruments and integrate them as a single system. In addition, you don't have to homerun your sensors and instruments back to a single place. The only place that it COULD be a little difficult is if you need to put a backbone cable to the top of your mast, but you could look at using a Tacktick wireless unit with their NMEA converter box... there are some more details on Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog - a great electronics blog.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Mimsy, if you haven't refit YET...
It can pay to ask a couple of different sources for a "request for proposal" or "request for bid" and let them offer you a package price for the complete system. AND as part of this, you write a simple spec (i.e. all equipment must be fully interoperable on NMEA 183 or 2000, etc.) so that if the bits don't play nicely together--the vendor has to come up with the fix.
Most vendors will also come down a bit more in price if you mention "we're doing an extensive refit" because they want that business.
If you can, also use a credit card that offers an extra year above the manufacturer's warranty. That can be a nice bonus when something does go south.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts