SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that both my Jib sheet blocks have cracked sheaves. So it's time to replace and consider improvements. But I'm not terribly familiar with the hardware and options that are out there (I've barely done any modifications to the rig).

So here are my conclusions/questions:

1) Right now it looks like I have a snatch block with a snap shackle. Right?
2) I don't think I need the snatch feature because I've never tried to add or remove this block to the line. Am I missing something here?
3) I do want the snap shackle because I have two cars on each track, and I often swap the block between them.
4) The only upgrade I'm aware of that I would like would be a spring loaded upright block (because it bangs in light variable winds), however I see no easy way to remove the existing cars or add new ones. Are there any options for adding an upright block?

So I think I just want a regular block with a snap shackle.

Attachments

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Reactions: IStream and T34C

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There should be an end that is removable on your track. Schaefer makes stand up blocks Schaefer Stand-Up Blocks on T-Track Cars or check Defender defender.com/?expression=genoa cars&s=1&Trigger=ac

Peter
Yeah I agree with the "should", but the reality is different. It's not impossible, but either the track or the abutting teak would need to have several fasteners removed at the least to bend one or the other out of the way and gain access to the end of the track.

It's not an option I'm going to peruse on the water right now.

I was hoping there was maybe hardware which could fit on the track without having access to an end. Because I would love those dedicated Genoa track cars which are compact and would never bang.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
So a couple of issues...

1) snatch blocks like that are substantially weaker than a fixed block, and typically more expensive.

2) almost any block can be converted to a stand up block by adding a stainless spring between the block and the car.

3) my favorite blocks are the Karver's. I am not sure what size jib this is for, so I can't recommend a size. But probably the KB10.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So a couple of issues...
1) snatch blocks like that are substantially weaker than a fixed block, and typically more expensive.

2) almost any block can be converted to a stand up block by adding a stainless spring between the block and the car.

3) my favorite blocks are the Karver's. I am not sure what size jib this is for, so I can't recommend a size. But probably the KB10.
Right on with 1 and 2, but I'd go with 30 series Garhauer blocks (assuming your lines are under 1/2" diameter). You can get two blocks with shackles and springs for under $100. Don't forget to lube them with OneDrop and you won't believe how much easier your lines run compared to what you're using now.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
To each their own. I tend to think of gurhauer as over weight, and somewhat underperforming. And their blocks just aren't any cheaper than their competitors, if anything they tend to be more expensive when compared side by side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts