SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,940 Posts
Reaction score
  • It would have sufficient force to overcome the effect of your normal rudder, if that was stuck to one side.
Hm. Could it "overcome" the drag involved in such a scenario. My guess is that your design will involve the use of eccentric drag to create a turning moment on the boat. Drag from stuck rudder + drag from Bene505Rudder + decreased inboard prop performance due to stuck rudder = too much drag methinks.

My suggestion is, before you get too concerned about your potential market, build a prototype (your wording hints that you have not yet done so), lash your tiller, and see how your boat performs with your emergency rudder. Then come back and say, "Adam, you were way off base. The boat goes even faster than before," so that I can stand corrected.

At that point I don't think you'll have too much of a problem with marketing.

· Registered
1,940 Posts
Reaction score
It would go slower, since there'd be two rudders, each acting in opposite directions, but it would still make headway and make the boat steerable.
I hope so. All I'm saying is, this remains to be seen.

Does anyone know if rudders get stuck fully deflected usually?
Unless something actually wedges itself between the rudder and the rest of the boat, I think it would be unusual to get stuck in such a position. More likely the stock would bend and stick the helm in a position closer to neutral.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.