SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after one of my old wire lines failed (note that it failed at a fitting, not in the wire itself which is pretty common I understand), I decided to replace them with synthetics.
The lower eye snapped off when I leaned on it whilst sat in the cockpit, it was incredibly brittle and you could see cracks in it.

Bow fittings were equally crapped

The lower eye on the starboard side was as bad, I snapped the eye off by hand after I took the fitting off the rail

West Marine had a few of the CS Johnson eye fittings on clearance, so I picked up some parts from there and various other local chandlers. Used Vectran V-12, 5mm for the lines themselves, supposedly better UV resistance, higher chafe resistance, non-absorbant and lower creep than Dyneema.
This line was very easy to splice, I just used a long bury with a lock stitch, and I also used stainless thimbles to give a nicer radius to the eyes. The uppers have adjusters and I used a dyneema lashing on the lowers.

New stainless eye fitting on the pushpit, the upper points looked to be OK, they are much better quality than they used on the lower fittings. New pelican hooks all-round (couldn't stretch the budget to fancy ones). Have a bit of work to do on the chafe through the stanchions, have some PVC tube to try.

Not perfect by any means, but not bad either, and a ton better than what was on there. I'm quite pleased with the results.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,835 Posts
VERY nice!

I used the Suncor Stainless Kit to replace my lowers before they quit. At about $300 per kit, though, it was very expensive.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah maybe, odd how the two sites differ completely, with the rope manufacturer saying it has very little degredation, and the Sydney place basically saying the opposite. Guess time will tell, and I know for sure that the UV levels in Sydney down there are considerably higher than the UV levels in the Sidney here :)
I don't anticipate it being an issue, and it's not like they are difficult to replace if I start to notice anything.
I also sorted out the chafe protection, 3/8" O/D clear vinyl tube fits snugly through the stanchion holes on the lowers and allows the line to run freely, bit of self-amalgamating tape at either side and should be good to go.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,306 Posts
Nice job. I never could understand why C&C liked those "assembled" pulpits so much - the one cheap-assed thing they did on their boats.

Even Buccaneers had welded pulpits.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Looks good, wonder if those lowers were a dealer installed option? Those eyes look to be quite lower in quality than the uppers.

One advantage is that since the lines are so much stronger than the stainless steel rope, you can loose the whole outer portion and still be at least as strong. It is supposed to get fuzzy as it deteriorates, so inspection is easy to spot problems.

And by the way I am glad you chose to replace the lowers, we like having you post around here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.