SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see this new PLB? I have been debating purchasing a PLB for some time but they were expensive little buggers. This new Mcmurdo model is SMALL and under 300 bucks!!! Anyone get this thing yet?

My only issue is that they say it has not been approved as an EPIRB??? It looks like it is a 406MHz & 121.5MHz based system. What am I missing? Maybe because it only transmits for 24hrs?

Anyway, I would be curious if anyone has seen this thing yet. If it is as advertised... I'm buying one!

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
It won't be approved as an EPIRB.

EPIRBs and PLBs are NOT the same thing. While they serve similar functions, they are fairly different.

PLBs are registered to an individual person, EPIRBs are registered to a specific boat or vessel.

PLBs have a run time of about 24 hours, EPIRBs have one of 48 hours.

PLBs often need to be held clear of the water to function properly, EPIRBs generally can float freely and work just fine floating in the water.

PLBs are not required to have a strobe, EPIRBs are.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SD,

So when they have this disclaimer.... "A Fast Find PLB is not an ELT or an EPIRB and does not meet the regulatory requirements for an ELT or an EPIRB."

That is strictly a factor of the differences between EPIRB and PLB and NOT that this unit would be less functional or limited in comparison to the PLB I had previously considered...the ACR ResQfix 406 MHz GPS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.