SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm not affiliated first of all.
Just recieved their newly released 10 pc ceramic over stainless nestable cookware set. Very heavy / high quality units. Also Ceramic coating vs teflon coating of the older units seems to me to be a large improvement.
I was worried they'd feel cheap and overly light. Instead each piece is heavy and well built. The detachable handles that allow for nesting also are well made. But best of all they all nest together (except the 2 handles) and will store in a remarkably small space. So only need to make fast (1) item which is the entire cook set. So now thats one more thing off my list.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I have the 7pc stainless set. It is very high quality, at roughly $100 for the set it is actually a bargain compared to most department store sets.

My only complaint is that I'd prefer a slightly different mix of pots and pans.

The 7 pieces are:
* a roughly 5qt pot
* a roughly 2qt pot
* a high wall frying pan, that is more like a high surface area saucepan
* handle
* two lids
* storage cord

The high sided frying pan isn't that useful of a shape for pancakes or eggs (the two primary things that I fry on the boat) and I could use another saucepan in the 1-2qt size range. A smaller sidewall frying pan would also make the set more compact (that frying pan becomes the lid for the 4qt pan when it is all packed).

I extended mine with a 1.5 liter nesting camping pot from another source and a cast iron frying pan (the hardest item to store in my galley).

·
Registered
845 Posts
I guess that answered my question about the stainless. I usually don't like the non-stick, just because i find that it doesn't hold up in the long run.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
The Magma cookware is a great space saver.

But if the ceramic non-stick is like other brands it is nowhere as good as the non-stick used on brands like T-Fal. I have a Henckels ceramic non-stick frying pan and while it is very well made food does stick and it is harder to clean.

I also agree the compromises made to allow stacking do made for odd sizes and shapes.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
We race, so our nesting cookware is aluminum from EMS because it's lighter. The Magma grill only comes aboard for cruises.

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
We've had our Magma cook set for probably seven or eight years now. I think I bought it when they first came out on the market. Have loved them ever since. They are real SS pots/pans, with heavy aluminium heat disperser bottoms. They store in a small space (nested), and cover most of our cooking needs (two people on board for a month at a time who love to cook).

We have the teflon version. I probably wouldn't buy teflon today, although the non-stick is very handy. In any case, our teflon pots have stood up just fine. Does require that you use plastic or wood utensils, and take minimal effort when stacking them, but our teflon is holding up just fine after all these years.

Anyway, I love the pots. Would definitely purchase again.

·
Sailor
929 Posts
We have the teflon version. I probably wouldn't buy teflon today, although the non-stick is very handy. In any case, our teflon pots have stood up just fine. Does require that you use plastic or wood utensils, and take minimal effort when stacking them, but our teflon is holding up just fine after all these years.
I am curious, why would you not buy Teflon again?

Tod

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
Hi Tod. Mainly b/c there are more rugged non-stick options available now. When I bought our set it was teflon or plain SS. I went with the teflon, and as I say, they've held up just fine. They do require a bit more awareness when using them, but I've got no complaints, and have no plans to change our set (and we are about to become full time liveaboards).

Nothing wrong with the teflon as long as you treat them properly.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I didn't buy teflon for my pot set because it isn't durable and is unhealthy if overheated. It's unlikely to get hot enough to be unsafe on my boat's alcohol stove, but it isn't worth chancing it.

The only pan that I want as non-stick is a frying pan, and the Magma set doesn't include a good one anyway. So I keep a cast iron pan on the boat.

·
Registered
458 Posts
How does ceramic coated cookware hold up? I found that stacking will scratch coated cookware, especially on a boat with constant movement. Would be nice to find non-stick that doesn't scratch as easily and remains non-stick. Any long term experience with ceramic coated?

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
How does ceramic coated cookware hold up? I found that stacking will scratch coated cookware, especially on a boat with constant movement. Would be nice to find non-stick that doesn't scratch as easily and remains non-stick. Any long term experience with ceramic coated?
The ceramic coated cookware stands up well, is a lot tougher finish than teflon. Nowhere near as non stick as teflon though.

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
As I say, our teflon Magma stacking set has held up just fine over seven years of seasonal (but heavy) use. As Multihullgirl says, just insert a small cloth between the pots when storing. Anything small, soft and insulating. Those blue disposable oil paper towels work get.

Just take a small bit of effort to keep the teflon in fine shape.

·
No more curry buffets
423 Posts
I have the Magma 7 piece stacking set in stainless as well. As someone said above, I think they are an amazing bargain compared to department store "better" cookware. You get a pretty robust set of pots for the price. I've never felt the need for non-stick, but we don't fry much on the boat.

·
2,449 Posts
We got our Magma non-stick set in either 2009 or 2010 and it's held up very well. More importantly these pans cook well, with heavy copper clad bottoms for even heating.

The lids are contoured to prevent the nested pans from rubbing, and I secure them with a bungee (don't remember if it was included). Our set gets used most weekends from April through October. Best of all the whole nested set fits nicely in the oven so it frees up cabinet space.

We added a stainless steel chef's pan for steaks and chicken when you want that "sear".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts