SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Review of new main sail purchase.

I recently purchased a new main sail for my O'day 27, made by Hyde, through Judy B Sails. After having had the chance to actually get to use it in varying conditions I can report that I am extremely pleased with the sail. It has made a big difference in the way my 40 year old boat sails. She heels far less and moves much more efficiently. Would I buy another Hyde sail from Judy B? Yes I would. Just a report for those who may be interested.

Attachments

·
Barquito
3,663 Posts
Looks great! How far gone was your old sail? I have been considering this, but, don't know if it would make a big enough difference for the money.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's a sailboat!
New sails are the best investment you can make to substantially change the sailing charachteristics of your boat.
If you've been sailing around with 20; 30 or 40 year old sails, you have no idea how your boat was designed to sail.
Spend your money on sails - propane stoves; battery chargers; anchors; plotters won't improve your sailing!

Sam :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Barquito,
How old are your sails, or how much have they been used? I replaced my old sails about three years ago and had the same experience as the OP. I went with the loose footed/2 full battens main which results in less wether helm, better pointing and more speed because I could shape the sails better. I am not racing and don't obsess over sail tuning, but with well built sails in good condition it is much easier to get more out of them.
John

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
+1 new sails make a boat. I do race, and was happy to spend the money to get proper sail shape.

That main looks quite good, hope it gives you years of good shape and use!

·
Master Mariner
9,011 Posts
It's a sailboat!
New sails are the best investment you can make to substantially change the sailing charachteristics of your boat.
If you've been sailing around with 20; 30 or 40 year old sails, you have no idea how your boat was designed to sail.
Spend your money on sails - propane stoves; battery chargers; anchors; plotters won't improve your sailing!

Sam :)
Whoa, hold one one danged second here. I ain't cooking with my sails and I fully intend to have a wonnerful dinner tonite that was cooked on my propane stove. Sailing ability takes a back seat to the cuisine on our boat, especially when we're at anchor.:)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Tell-tales are flying nicely, so it's trimmed right. You'll love having less weather helm and better pointing.

SHNOOL - does the foot look a little tight to you, the draft seems too far forward.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
Re: Review of new main sail purchase.

I recently purchased a new main sail for my O'day 27, made by Hyde, through Judy B Sails. After having had the chance to actually get to use it in varying conditions I can report that I am extremely pleased with the sail. It has made a big difference in the way my 40 year old boat sails. She heels far less and moves much more efficiently. Would I buy another Hyde sail from Judy B? Yes I would. Just a report for those who may be interested.
I bought a $200 main sail off eBay and have used it for 3 seasons now. I am able to get the boat up to or above hull speed regularly (of course, you have to know how to actually trim the sails) as shown below, and I don't understand why anyone buys new sails for a 40 year old boat, unless you are racing:

Pearson 28 "Thoe" sails upwind at hull speed on Rappahannock River - YouTube

Fast broad reach on the Rappahannock River - YouTube

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great! How far gone was your old sail? I have been considering this, but, don't know if it would make a big enough difference for the money.
The old main May have been original to the boat. I don't know. It was in its day a pretty nice sail made by a well respected north west loft of the era. It had gotten to the point that I could no longer control leach flutter even in light air. In gusts the boat would be on her ear. It had also started to develop small vertical tears in a few places along the leach. I think that the price of the new sail was quite reasonable. Bear in mind that the sail maker did not visit my boat and do the measuring. However, the measurement forms and instructions from Judy B resulted in a sail that fit VERY well. Jude did request a lot of photos of mast, boom, etc, etc, etc. she also contacted me by phone for clarification on a couple of measurements. All told it was a very positive experience that I would not hesitate to repeat.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Tell-tales are flying nicely, so it's trimmed right. You'll love having less weather helm and better pointing.

SHNOOL - does the foot look a little tight to you, the draft seems too far forward.
Sabreman, yes, outhaul is cranked on it appears, halyard up to tight as well?... also no vang on, boom skying, but perhaps that's intentional. Lots of twist. I don't criticize I figure the skipper did this intentionally.

Even that draft might be like that expecting some heavy winds soon, at which point it'll even out some.

By my eye that draft looks to be in the first 20%... not first 40% where it should be. Could be an "Obstacle delusion" as my brother says.

By the way, the racer in me goes, "HOLY crap, tons of room there for more roach." Lets add another foot to the foot, and bring that roach out to smack the backstay... but who knows on the OD 27, that might make it sail in circles (by the way I recall the Oday 27 being a pretty well balanced boat, so it JUST might).

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
What's the age of the boat got to do with it?

I've got a 50 year old house, but I put a new roof on it a couple of years ago!
Sure, I am happy to clear up your confusion. You are making a very common error – you don’t understand the difference between investing in an appreciating asset – real property – and an expense for depreciating personal property.

Real estate is an investment. It has proven to go up in value, to appreciate, over time. Spending money on an appreciating asset to improve or maintain its value is wise. Although you may never see a dollar for dollar recovery of your expense, you are assured that your money has contributed to an investment.

Boats are depreciating property. They continually drop in value or depreciate. This is true of most personal property. Spending money to buy new things for an older depreciating asset is stupid. You will never recover the expense. Not only that, but the boat will continue to drop in value, despite the new sails.

Now as far as a new boat versus an old boat. You do not normally have to buy new sails for a new boat. If you did, however, you might be justified in buying a new sail for a newer boat, to meet the expectations of the market. A newer boat with older, used sails would be even less valuable. In contrast, no one in his right mind expects to see new sails on an old boat, other than a racing boat, where it might make a difference.

With old boats, you should consider the concept of “functional equivalence.” If an experienced, skillful sailor can sail at top speed with used sails, why spend the extra money on new sails?

·
3,506 Posts
^This is why we see so few bean counters out here.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Real estate is an investment. It has proven to go up in value, to appreciate, over time.
At the risk of turning this thread over to the political section... Apparently James missed the whole housing "bubble" burst in 2008 (but then he's likely a better "investor" than me).

While house values have slowly recovered from that ridiculous loss, they haven't yet come anywhere near where they were prior. Also the foreclosure rates and short sale numbers are still pretty abysmal.

That being said the thought behind James statement is 100% accurate which is a boat is hardly an investment.

Unless of course you see it as an investment in your sanity (which I do)... As the amount of "recreation" that is derived from this "hole in the water into which money is poured" is paid back in stress relief and just plain out pleasure of use.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sabreman, yes, outhaul is cranked on it appears, halyard up to tight as well?... also no vang on, boom skying, but perhaps that's intentional. Lots of twist. I don't criticize I figure the skipper did this intentionally.

Even that draft might be like that expecting some heavy winds soon, at which point it'll even out some.

By my eye that draft looks to be in the first 20%... not first 40% where it should be. Could be an "Obstacle delusion" as my brother says.

By the way, the racer in me goes, "HOLY crap, tons of room there for more roach." Lets add another foot to the foot, and bring that roach out to smack the backstay... but who knows on the OD 27, that might make it sail in circles (by the way I recall the Oday 27 being a pretty well balanced boat, so it JUST might).
This was the first time out with the new sail. The wind was quite fluky as well. Also my first expearance with a loose footed main. Actually, the boom was not skying. As the boat was close hauled and boom lift was being controlled by the sheet not the vang. The boom appears to be lifted due to camera angle. Yes, I agree that the draft is too far forward in this picture.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Once again, not criticizing... and pictures have a tendency to exaggerate angles depending on location of camera...

A racers perspective is always a more critical view... if you think my eye is bad towards YOUR boat, you ought to hear my own critical eye on my own pictures... because I know the boat, and how it should be trimmed most of my own pictures grate on me like fingernails on a chalkboard... I've only found about 2 pictures that were taken of my boat where I was "happy" about how I had trimmed for the conditions.

For years I was hoping to get a picture of my boat under spin, and when I finally did, I did nothing but pick apart how terrible I did with my trim.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
"HOLY crap, tons of room there for more roach." Lets add another foot to the foot,
I was thinking that too, but hey, the guy just bought a sail and likes it. I didn't want to be rude. But since you brought it up...... :laugher

Once again, not criticizing... if you think my eye is bad towards YOUR boat, you ought to hear my own critical eye on my own pictures
Absolutely! Just providing feedback. You'll be very pleased with the improvement in performance.

Real estate is an investment.
Real estate can be an investment if it's treated as a business. However, for most people their residence is an asset that may or may not appreciate. A boat is also an asset that will probably not appreciate in value. There is an enormous difference between an investment and an asset. My home is not an investment...I don't expect to make a profit from it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@ Shnool, happy to have your feedback. I like your prospective on things. Actually, the roach just kisses the backstay, which more roach than the original sail plan called for. Also there is only 8 inches from the clew to the end of the boom when the out haul is tensioned.

@ Sabreman, you are right about real estate as relates to boat ownership. I didn't put a new sail on my old boat to make money when I sell it. I did it to enjoy sailing it more. Years ago during my race car days, I purchased an old formula open wheel car. Maybe the the most fun $500 I ever spent. However, it was way more fun after I spent another $500 on brand new Goodyear gumball racing tires for it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts